Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 post lift???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Jun 9, 2002.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Anyone have a 4 post lift? And what make do you have? I am looking to get one within the next month or so. thanks, Pete.

2. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would recommend a 2 post. I also was considering a 4 post, but luckily I ended up buying a 2 post. I did not realize how much more convenient a 2 post lift would be for routine vehicle work.

If you are buying the lift primarily for double parking, then a 4 post may be ok. But if you plan to use it for working on your vehicles, then a 2 post is the best way to go.

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Do you want a new or used lift? My dad sells both 2 and 4 posts lifts, and he usually has a couple used one's laying around. Let me know if your interested in any of them. The new lifts are Ben Pearson and the used ones vary.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

They show up in my sunday paper pretty regular. Might check yours.
    I'm up in the air about it. Big reason I worry about the 2 post is the K5's ballance. It's hard to get the front arms far enough forward to make them stable. The rears are really bad for placement on the 78 and older because the frame makes it's upturn so soon. Guy at the Muffler shop about dropped the lady's 79 on it's nose because of this. Had the front legs as far forward as he could and it still wanted to nose over. Do something like take a rear axle loose and it would go over. Depdog and I about dropped one pulling a axle Because we couldn't get the jack stands where they would keep the truck from tipping.
    I want to go with a 4 post with the air jacks on the trolly. If I needed to pull and axle then I'll chain the bumper to the lift and pick it up that way.
    My seconday reason is so I can store my Pontiac on it when not using it for repair. Park my Supra under it.