Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4"s of lift and 44"s?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmc454, Nov 19, 2005.

1. gmc454

gmc454 Registered Member

Who has done it? Going to cut the wife's Jimmy up and fit 44"s and 4"s of lift. Its a rusted 82 Jimmy. It has 3/4 ton axles now. For now its a mud rig, but as soon as we can afford a D60 front its getting one and then a trip to Moab is in order. Pictures would be good if anyone has any- wyojeeper@yahoo.com
    Thanks
    Rick

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

3. gmc454

gmc454 Registered Member

Sawzall is my friend already. Everyone around here has way to much lift, needs a good LCG.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

your gonna have to move your front axle forward like 6 inches or more... and cut out the core support. then i would make real ridgid and smooth wheel wells, so when you do rub it wont to any dmg to the tires, id move the rear axle backward like 4 inches just to gain some wheel base. and then just cut the hell out of it....

5. Joshinator

Joshinator Registered Member

I Did It!

Almost, im running stk 52's in the front and 63's in the back with a shackle flip which gives me about 4" of lift with zero rates at both ends, so i guess thats 5. I tried for the longest time to run fenders in the front but you have to cut so much out of them, just the frame flex rips them apart. I ended up ditching the front fenders and core support and ran a tube front clip which held the rad. and hood. At full stuff and wheels turned to lock, the tire sqtill rubs the cab corner, after i cut the corners all the way back to the interior kick panels. As for the back, the fenders were cut quite a bit, and rubbed like crazy at full stuff on the inner fender wells. Oh yea, i also have 1.5" of body lift, so, i guess i lied, i didnt do it ...... :confused:

6. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

have to move the front axle forward. i run 37'' boggers with 5'' of lift and fenders hacked all the way to the floorboards and still get contact at full stuff

78 k5 350/465/205/d60/sf14

7. jaysonsk5

jaysonsk5 1/2 ton status

i run a rough country 4" and a 3" body with zero rates set 1.5" forward. i still have contact at full stuff, at lock only, i think that i can live with this. i have pics posted on webshots, member search jaysonsk5, i have some flex pics with the tractor lifting it up. it works good enough for me, not exactly a true 4", but it is how i got it to work :rolleyes:

8. gmc454

gmc454 Registered Member

Thats what I was looking for. I am going to cut even more than what yours is like jaysonsk5. I figure I can get away with cutting and not worry about moving the WB.

9. Silver84k5

well remember.. you have pedals above your floor boards, if you dont move your front axle forward you are gonna have to move your floorboards backwards, i have 39.5"s on 5 inches and that barely squeeks by, i might rub a little. My axle is moved 2 inches forward..

10. Silver84k5

oh yea one more thing... more Wheelbase is your friend... (most of the time)

11. jaysonsk5

jaysonsk5 1/2 ton status

you can limit up travle with bumpstops :doah:
    it is a mud truck right? :confused:

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

jasonsk5, that thing is sweet, love the green!

13. gmc454

gmc454 Registered Member

ITs going to be a mud rig for now. Till we can afford a D60 front.

14. jaysonsk5

jaysonsk5 1/2 ton status

:D thanks :D nice to hear something good

15. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Well, I can tell you this:

I have an '86 Jimmy. At one point in its existance, I was running 38" Ground Hawgs on 4" of lift. For street driving, I actually got away with it stock, but to flex a little, I cut of just a LITTLE (and I mean an RCH little bit) of the front fender. That was all it ever needed, and that was with a straight 4" lift, no body, add-a-leafs, etc. So I would imagine you could make the 44's work, depending on how gonzo your driving patterns were and how intimate you wanted to get with the sawzall...

Good luck, and post pics.

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Can't be done. In order for me to run 44s I'd have to cut my fenders back to the cab... and my front axle is moved 7.5" in relation to the body. You need roughly 6.5" of lift in order to not hit the top of the wheel opening at full stuff (spring flattened out, full droop on other end) with 44s.

If you want to compare it to something, imagine your tires nearly rubbing the frame... then measure over 15"... that's where the edge of your tire is going to be when turned.

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    thats 6 inches of lift and 42's....

im sure if i tub the rear out i could easily drop it down 2 inches and go larger on tires.
    Grant

18. gmc454

gmc454 Registered Member

Still going to try and fit them. I might swap the front shackles around and make them work like a stock YJs, shackles in the front and fixed point at the rear to keep the tires out of the fender. Plus it will be cut more than either of the Blazers that have posted pictures. Sawzall and bumpstops will be my friend.

19. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

PLEASE!!!! Don't go with reversed shackles. They are HORRIBLE!

20. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm running 6" front springs and 44's with 12" wide wheels. The tires rub everywhere! Every time I go out I find a new spot that needs to be trimmed. I just got a set of zero rates to move the axle foreward 1.5" so the tires stop hitting the firewall so much, after that I'll trim the core support MORE than it already is. I still hit the steering box and leaf springs when stuffed.

The rear is no problem since I cut out the wheel tubs and rear fenders (I have 8" of lift in the rear) The only problem now is I should have inboarded my shocks with the 64" springs because I just squashed a shock between the frame and spring. :doah:

Also, even if it is just "mud" you will break parts with 44's. I just blew up my front u-joint and took out the ears on the driveshaft yoke in mud. Before I had the D60 I blew both inner and outer shafts when BOTH u-joints let go... and that was with 38's. :rolleyes: