Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" Skyjacker springs lined up, need rear suggestions!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big Red, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

4\" Skyjacker springs lined up, need rear suggestions!

<font color="red"> ok, heres the scoop. i have front springs/ord bushings/and drop arm lined up pretty much. my questions is wether i should do a ord 4" shackle flip and 1" zero rates, or AK-57 setup? im kinda ona budget, but i also don't wanna hafto wait a long time saving up for a bunch of parts. cus im sure wit 4" i need new driveshafts. plus, i also need to know what size tires will clear...35" TSL Sx's? 36" Iroks wit sum trimming? im kinda leaning the tsls cus of their lower cost, plus they're a proven performer (not saying the iroks arn't) any and all suspension ideas are welcome...even backyard built ones. thanks again guys! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif </font>

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: 4\" Skyjacker springs lined up, need rear suggestions!

AK57 will likely axlewrap like crazy.

Homebrew shackle flip is definitely a good idea.

Be prepared to deal with pinion angle issues and upgrade drivelines if you're going to be doing any sort of flexing.

And for god's sake, run some limiting straps to eliminate any bind issues. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i have never heard of the ak-57 axle wrapping. ok, so i wont go with that then. since i plan on driving this truck around town a lot. so, anyone have suggestions on tires? driveshafts? i am already planning on swapping gears to 4.q0s' should i go higher with the 35/36's?? to say 4.56?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would probably go 4.88 for ratio, run the 35/36" tires. If it is a Blazer you're probably going to want CV shafts front and rear eventually and it never hurts to beef up to stronger u joints, etc.

Get the lift installed and choose the rest of your options later. It really costs $5000-6000 minimum to get a rig set up with a decent suspension system, shocks, wheels, tires, gears and lockers and drivelines to sustain the punishment of serious off road use, but it doesn't need to be done at all time.

If you're running a 700R4, I'd go even deeper on gears.

5. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

well, this rig is gonna be my dd for a while while i build it, so i kinda gotta be able to work on it on the weekends. and great, now i gotta go deeper gears wit the 700r4? DOH!! good thing i got the 208 i guess. lol. yeah, so, new driveshaftes wit cvs even for a 4" lift? damn. i was hoping to get away withought a new rear driveshaft. o well. might as well.

6. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    well, this rig is gonna be my dd for a while while i build it, so i kinda gotta be able to work on it on the weekends. and great, now i gotta go deeper gears wit the 700r4? DOH!! good thing i got the 208 i guess. lol. yeah, so, new driveshaftes wit cvs even for a 4" lift? damn. i was hoping to get away withought a new rear driveshaft. o well. might as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason he said run even lower gears (4.88's or 5.13's) is because YOU CAN with Overdrive...u dont have to worry bout rappin the motor out at 50mph...but 4.10's should get ya by just fine with 35's...hell I got 38's and 4.10s...but with a 465...and it works pretty well...EVENTUALLY I will get prolly 4.88's or MAYBE 5.13's but till then this works!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And as far as driveshaft goes...You should be fine!! I have a 4" lift with mine and no probs...4" is prolly the best all around lift cuz U dont need longer drivelines or longer brake lines /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (unless u plan on flexin like mad) but It sounds like this is gonna be yer DD and not a trail only hardcore wheeler /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

I have 33's w/4:10's on a 4" lift, ORD shackles, extended shocks and brake lines, and no swaybar, and at this time blocks in the rear. The tires rub slightly but I haven't trimmed the fenders yet. The drive shafts are stock and I haven't had any problems so you may not need to do anything w/yours yet. Just thought I'd send some pix so you can see the flex with stock shafts. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!! lol. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif 33's and lots of flex, maybe i dont need 35/36's? hmmmm. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif what about shock mounts? i know the fronts are gonna be totally custom, im thinking pivot mounts (instead of straight back off the axle two mounts on top of the tube running along the axle tube) and custom towers. in the rear what would u do? i know the rear mounts tend to rip off after hard flexing. and im thinking i'll use quick disconnects on my swaybar. cus if its gonna be my dd i wanna be able to turn without staring at the ground. lol. thanks again guys!! keep the ideas coming!!! </font> /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif