Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 speed Auto Floor Shifters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryoken, Jul 30, 2004.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

whats available and what do you like for a 700r4? not much of a selection it seems for the 700..

i've looked at B&M's lineup of light truck and mega. honestly in my not so informed opinion, i've never been big on B&M shifters.. always ran VMatics from MrGasket and then VMatic2's from Hurst. seemed like a much better built shifter and always loved the duel mode..

anyway, please feel free to convince me otherwise of the stoutness of these 2 shifters or other B&M's.. they always seemed "cheap" in the past to me...

part 2 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif with my hesitation torwards B&M, i began looking at the Lokars. anyone with any info on these? the tranny mount looked interesting...

thanks for any imput guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

http://www.artcarr.com/catalog/p15.html?

These guys make some of the best transmission parts around and I have never heard anyone complain about the performance of their products. Steve runs one of these shifters in the UAV. He might answer some questions for you if you send him a PM. Two of my friends recently purchased the Art Carr gate shifter as well but have yet to install. I have one wheeling buddy running a B&M and he seems to like it.

I personally have zero expieriance with any of the brands but I do plan to buy an Art Carr shifter myself in the future. The gate design is simple and easily modified if so desired.

I do, however, have expieriance with the company. The cutomer service was sketchy with the first product I bought from them but the Vice President, Alan Hartmann, took direct care of me when I got upset with my sales guy. I am pretty sure the sales guy somewhat new and I believe he was let go after the way he treated me. I am now satisfied with them as a company.

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Here is an email I just got back from Alan at Art Carr

[ QUOTE ]
    Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 8:13 AM
    To: Davis, Justin
    Subject: RE: Send Customer Information to Justin Davis

Our TH400 reverse pattern shifter is on sale for $199.00. The shifter comes complete with all linkage, cable, shifter, everything that you need to connect it to the transmission. Also our TH 400 reverse pattern valve bodies are on sale as well, full manual with compression braking, for $299.00. Let us know if you have any questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use a B&M light truck mega shifter and it works fine. Takes some abuse too. Build quality is..well, it works! But could be better. Hard to find anything that is made as well as you'd like these days. Only thing I really dislike about it is that you can ratchet up from 1st right thru to neutral /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif which is a bit of a pain if your showboating on the street and take it one 'ratchet' too far. But that shouldn't be an issue off road anyway ( unless you run mud bogs I guess!) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. ryoken

yes, Art Carr, of course.. didn't see them at Jegs, Summit... that looks like a sweet shifter.. i had looked at the Cheetah SCS and TCI setups but wheren't available in 4 speed apparently...

hmm, don't see any prices, wonder what that runs...

6. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I am running a Lokar Shifter and love it. I did a little moding to it and now I can just tap into nutreal and it will lock there, from any gear. has kept me off my lid a number of times. [​IMG]

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I always liked those , looks like a stick shift if you use a regular 4 speed boot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ryoken

thanks, glad somebody has firsthand experience...

what is the shift pattern on the Lokar? straight up and down or gated? trying to figure out how you can go neutral from any gear /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif does it just pop off to the side and up into nuetral from any gear?

and am i correct in thinking there is no gear indicator capability to that shifter? not that i care much what the inspection nazi's are looking for. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Fir the gearshifter , you could do like a 84 Monte Carlo does with the floor shifter : Have your indicator on the column hooked up to the trans at the same time as floor shifter ( with the detent piece removed on the column so it moves freely ) that was how it was on my friends 84 Monte , back up lights and all ran off column linkage , shifter on the floor with a cable linkage to shift and it was factory /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Might also look at the Lokar nostalgia shifter. It is an inline shifter but looks just like a 4-speed shifter. It's the same as the one above but has double bends in it. They make a digital shift indicator for their shifters. A bit expensive but worth the money.

Lokar Shifters