Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 speed -difference between 2wd-4wd?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89 Blazzer, Oct 2, 2000.

1. 89 Blazzer

89 Blazzer Registered Member

What is the difference between a 2wd and a 4wd 4 speed. The truck is an 83 2wd. I was curious if it could be used in a 4 wd and what modificatons, if any will need to be made.
    thanks

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

TH350 for example:
    The tranny will be shorter in a 4x4 due to the transfer.
    In a 2wd the tranny will have a 3" or 6" tail. It's not possible to modify the tranny housing. There is a big difference in length. Also in the bolt up pattern on the 2wd the output of the tranny is a yoke rather than being flush for an adaptor plate to bolt on a t-case.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't the tailshaft housings unbolt? My friend has a SM 465 2WD tranny in his yard and it looks like you could unbolt the rear output housing and bolt up a T-case adaptor and go from there. Of course you would also need to know the right adaptor, drive sleeve etc. for whatever T-case you were trying to bolt up to it.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Why not find a 465 already hooked to a 205. I've seen them go for $300 - $500 (sometimes more) but that would save you a lot of headache.
    Now, have fun welding on spring hangers for the front axle...
    -- Mike

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

The ones i've seen (4x2 models) only have about a 3-4" tailshaft if you even call it that. I would imagine that the case of the tranny is not drilled for the lower portion of the t-case adaptor, either.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

6. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

They are both interchangeable. I have a two wheel drive version SM465 in my garage that I rebuilt and put a 203 4WD adapter on. It was an exact swap with the 2WD tail shaft adapter, They both used the same bolt holes. I just had to swap out the mainshaft.