Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 speed swap people

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jun 14, 2002.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I went to put my pedals in and there's a hunk of metal in the way that is part of what mounts the steering column. My column is from an '87 C30 (not the same C30 I have, one in the junkyard).

Was I not putting it in right, (doubtful) or am I going to have to cut off that part of the steering column support (which will necessitate removal of the column)???

2. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

On my 82 everthing just unbolted and got removed with a little yelling and kicking

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The old brake pedal came out just fine...it's getting the clutch pedal in with that huge bracket on it for the mechanical setup that's got me thinking it's not going to work.

I am gonna be pissed if I have to take that column out again!!

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I really don't know what to tell you, but I'll say that with the '86 body, mechanical or hydraulic pedal assembly, and a steering column I built from various years/models (but is the same as an '85-up column) I didn't have any clearance issues. I've got an '85 column out of a manual tranny truck, as well as the pedals, is there a particular piece you want me to examine on the column or pedal assembly?

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

what i had to do was remove the steering coulm all together...just makes life alot easier trying to get everything shoe horned in there...but that bracket you are talkin about...are you just trying to put in the pedal its self or the whole bracket with the clutch and break together /forums/images/icons/confused.gif ..thats what i did...the clutch and break were attached to a bracket that un bolted from the fire wall and under the steering coulmn ...but if i was you...pull out the coulmn..just one less thing to get in your way and dosent take all that long to do /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

You have to take the column out again...

I was hoping I wouldn't have to take it out either when I put my pedals in for my clutch setup.

Have FUN! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Please don't say that. When I got this stuff from the junkyard they didn't pull the column. And even if I did, that metal bracket is still in the way.

If anyone has a digital camera can can snap a photo of where the 4 speed pedals attach to the truck, it'd be greatly appreciated. I got the brake pedal to go in fine, it's trying to get that clutch pedal in next to it that's being a pain in the a**.

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

So you didn't remove your existing big brake (auto) pedal assembly?

Is the hole even there for the clutch pedal to go into???

I have both my original auto brake assembly and a Clutch pedal assembly (pre hydro) out of the truck. I will look at it tonight.

Not sure if I can get pics up tonight, as my dad is in town, Father's Day and all that. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Hello, Hey this a question I can answer. Yeah you have to cut a small notch in the bracket that the pedals bolt to. The 4 speed bracket has the notch built in, but the auto doesn't. I just laid on my back and used a dremel tool and cut out the notch. I then used a bicycle brake pad as the pedal stop. Later I went to a junk yard and picked up a 4 speed bracket and replaced the automatic one. The bracket I am reffering to is the one that the pedals and the Steering column bolt to. The other thing is the 4 speed bracket has a metal plate welded to the top of it to support the other side of the clutch pedal. When I did my conversion originally I just put the bolt right to the edge of the clutch pedal, so it was kind of hanging there. It worked okay bu the constant pushiing the pedal in and out would tighten the bolt until it would'nt come back anymore. I just carried the tools to loosen it every week or so. Eventually I replaced it with the manual bracket. WOW long post. If you want I can draw a quick cross section of what I'm talking about.

Lazydog

10. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

I've got a digital cam...just ask if you want some picks done. Mines a LHD convert so all the bits should be the same...(.the factory RHD trucks might be different).

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Tim, I'm really confused by your post.
    I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.
    I can tell you I installed a complete manual pedal assembly (clutch brake and gas) into an auto cab by simply removing the two pedal assembly and bolting in the three, as an assembly.
    It was easy enough that I don't remember any specifics. I think it took some jiggling to get it in there, but it went.
    And the column (mine's a tilt from a 79) went in fine too. Nothing interferes with anything.
    I too have a digital camera, but I don't understand what you want a pic of.
    HTH.
    -- Mike

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I looked at a friend's today...looks like I'll have to notch that bracket so that the stuff has a place to go.

Of course I removed the auto brake pedal. It'd be impossible to do it otherwise.

I wish I could show you guys exactly what I'm talking about. There is a big metal plate up there that is keeping my pedal assembly from fitting.I looked at my friend's today, his has a big cutout in that particular bracket.

It's so high up in there, I can't see. Like you guys said, I'm going to have to pull the column...which is somewhat good. I started doing that and found that it was loose anyway.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There's a big bracket which I can't tell but I believe bolts the steering column up in under there. I need to make a HUGE notch in it (so the part where the rod that runs to the Z bar is attached) can move back and forth.