Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 speed to Auto - Updated!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by swamp donkey, Oct 15, 2002.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I know, I know... stick rule, autos blow.
    Well my little poser truck is for street driving, with a little mud here or there. My mechanical clutch sucks and I hate driving the truck through Los Angeles traffic. I know I would fall back in love with my truck if only I didn't have to shif it.
    I see lots of posts on people going the other way, but can I swap my manual to an Auto? What would I need? How much would you figure it would cost? Any one in the Venice, CA area want to trade me there Auto for my 4 speed?

I found this link Tranny Swap , now all I need is a all those parts. $700 bucks? that's way too much. If I could do the whole thing for $300-$400 the wife might go for it.
    Anyone know if I need all that junk? I already have a 205.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: 4 speed to Auto - how hard?

<font color="green"> That would be an easy swap if you stay with a floor shifter. Going to a column shifter would be more difficult. Should mainly be a matter of getting a tranny/t-case that will match up to each other then bolting them in and getting the driveshaft lengths adjusted appropriately.</font color>

3. swamp donkey

Yeah floor shift for sure. Now all I need it someone to trade me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i want to switch to a 4 speed but i think that would be a lot of work that i wouldnt want to bother with. better of looking for another truck with on in it!

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> What tranny/t-case combo do you have in it now? </font color>

6. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I did it with a 83 shortbed 2 wheel drive. It was very easy, but I did have to go with a different driveshaft. I'll agree with the floor shift. It made it a lot easier. Otherwise you're looking at trading out the steering colum etc... I was considering trading my 700r4 out for a manual, but lucked out and ended up with a th400 with the tcase etc.. just for towing away some small cars and trucks. The manual to auto swap took me about 6-7 hours but then again I work slow.

7. swamp donkey

I'm pretty sure its a 465/205 I know it's a 205, I just don't know the tranny. It's a 4 speed.
    San Jose huh. I bought a peice of crap truck from there once. Matter of fact it was this one, about $5k ago.

8. swamp donkey

I found this for $1000 (too much for me to spend, but is it good?)
    <font color="blue"> Cstm TH400 Sevre Duty, Str8 cut gears high cap. clutch packs,alum pan, VP unit 1500/2500 stall tc, good unit for 4x4 will warr. </font color>

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If its a 205, you wont have to touch the drivelines or cossmember. Tha transfercase adapter takes up the slack if your going to a TH350. I did this trade over about a year ago.

10. swamp donkey

You went to a an Auto? Unheard of!! I thought I was the only one dumb enough.
    What is the diff between an th350 and th400?
    If I buy a used tranny, what do I look for? what do I need to make sure is included?
    Can I do this swap at home with limited tools? What shifter did you buy? I was looking at the B&amp;M floor shift for trucks.

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I switched for mud racing. Made a big difference too. The TH400 is longer than the TH350 and the input for the 205 is different. It would be easier to go to the TH350. I just hooked up the stock shifter to make it work. Been thinking about a floor shifter though...