Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4-speed to bell housing bolt ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tarussell, Jul 13, 2003.

1. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

My memory is not working to good and I need someone to tell me if the upper and lower bolts that tie the 465 to the bell housing are the same. I am switching from an aluminium bell housing to the 1972 and older cast iron style and need to figure out the details of the bolts.
    Thanks in advance , Tom

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The older cast iron bellhousing uses bolts that thread into the 2 lower holes in the tranny from the inside of the bellhousing and the 2 lower holes in the tranny are threaded.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the response , but I know that . What I need to know is if the lower set of bolts and the upper set are the same . Is the shoulder part of the bolt the same or does one set have a different shank dimension ?
    Thanks , Tom

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Doesn't really matter. Use which ever bolt fits the smaller of the 2 holes. The trans indexs on the bearing retainer and all the bolts do is clamp the parts together. If you're using a late model trans with a early bellhousing you'll have to use longer bolts with nuts for the lower holes. Put the nuts on the tranny side, not inside the bellhousing. If you're using a early trans with the early bellhousing, if I remember right and it's been 6 or so years since I messed with one, the bolts are the same top and bottom. If you use nuts and longer bolts, put the bolts into the bellhousing before mounting it on the engine as it's tight inside there after its mounted on the motor.

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I am using a later model tranny with an earlier cast iron bell housing . I was hoping to use the original style bolts and tap/heli-coil the lower tranny holes to match the bolt threads . I was just wondering if the unthreaded part of the lower bolts were the same length as the upper bolts . I don't have everything seperated yet so I can not compare parts. I am wanting to gather parts ahead of time to avoid several trips to the hardware store while I should be working on the truck .
    Thanks for the input . Tom