Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 Speed Trans Fluid Change

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xdelirious45x, Apr 24, 2004.

1. xdelirious45x

xdelirious45x Registered Member

I have a 4 speed trans on my 1988 chevy blazer. I know there are two bolts, one for the drain plug, and one for the check/fill plug. Is there any way to put new transfluid into the transmission? I tried squeezing right out of the bottle but the fluid was everywhere, then i tried using a hose, but it was taking too long. Right now the truck is sitting in the garage, anyone have ideas??

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

they sell little pumps at the parts store that go right on the bottle and work great for stuff like this

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

take the shift shifter off and fill till it starts comming out the fill plug. easyiest way ive found /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I use the round 1 quart plastic containers, they have a small screw on tip you can cut (like a caulking tube). It's a little tedious but it works...just jam the tip into the fill hole and squeeze. Once it's stopped refill that container and continue. I like to sacrifice one contanier for sqeeze duty and just keep refilling it...

Rene

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I buy a gallon and keep a fill container around.

Removing the shifter and filling until it comes out the fill hole is a great idea though.

6. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I bought a lever operated bucket pump, and buy gear oil in the 5 gallon buckets. The pump has a clear hose and a curved metal end that you just hang in the hole you're filling. Sure beats the mess of the squeeze bottles.

7. 82 silverado 4x

82 silverado 4x Newbie

When I bought my truck I just topped off the tranny through the side hole and what a messy PITA it was.

Last week when I had to drain it to do some work on the reverse gear I pulled off the lower drivers side cover plate to drain it. I bought a $3 storage bin at a Dollar store that was 15"x24"x8" deep to catch the fluid. Doing it this way allowed me to check the bottom of the bin for any loose metal. After checking the bin for metal, I put it back under the tranny and flushed out the bottom of the tranny with degreaser. There is usually a small amount of sludge in the bottom of an older high mileage tranny. I reinstalled the side cover with RTV-11 and refilled it through the shifter hole until it came out of the fill plug. Any excess goes right into the pan. I put the fill plug back in and wiped off the side of the tranny. When I was done I poured the old grease into the now empty gearlube container and took it to Advance Auto for recycling. Worked great.