Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" suspension/2" body vs 6" suspension

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater_k20, Feb 1, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

4\" suspension/2\" body vs 6\" suspension

after seeing some spring rates, specifically the ones listed on Tuff Country's website, i see that 6" springs are going to be considerably stiffer than 4" springs of the same line and manufacturer. i was shown pictures of outlaw612's truck by another member, and i really like the looks of it, and it think it would serve my purpose well., however, i contemplated going with a 6" suspension, rather than the 4+2 setup he used. i'd also like to clear a 36" tire.

i plan on using the truck mostly for trail bashing, and mud. so i'm assuming a softer spring would be better. plans are for a 10 bolt/14FF i have sitting in the garage, an SM465/205 combo, and powered by a L31 Vortec shortblock(carbed or TBI, undecided at this point). rear lift will be accomplished with a 2wd "front" hanger out back, and possibly an extended shackle. i'd like your honest opinions on which would better be suited to my needs, and why so. thanks in advance.

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Re: 4\" suspension/2\" body vs 6\" suspension

I run a 6" suspension and 2" body lift and love it! [​IMG] This is with 38's.
    Bill

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I run 36" TSL's. With the 4" lift they rubbed. Since I installed the 2" BL Theyre fine and I have very minimal trimming. If you were will to hack the fenders, you wouldnt need the 2" BL.

BTW, thanks for the compliments /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have 6" springs in the front with the ORD extended shackles that gives 6.5" of lift up front. Out back, I've got the ORD 4" shackle flip + 3" springs for a total of 7" lift in the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I'm thinking of getting the ORD 1" body lift with new poly mounts.

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have a 4" springs and a 2" body lift on my suburban and i wish i had just gone with 6" springs. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I would do the 6" springs that way if you decide you want a larger tire in the future, the body lift will be cheaper then. Do it once now and save the money later. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Are you agianst cutting fenders for clearance?? My other 76 had a 4" lift, 3/4 ton axels and I ran 40's with no body lift. I added longer front shackles, and got 5" front and after breaking a rear spring, went to 2" springs(and blocks) for 6". But that truck is long gone now.

8. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I'm in the same boat as you. I'd like to have about 6" of lift but I want to keep it flexy. I think that I am going to use 4" lift springs up front with a zero rate and if I need a bit more height I will get extended shackles.

I'll do similar in the rear only with a shackle flip instead of the springs.

Hope that helps some.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

are there any distinct advantages to the 6" suspension lift over the 4"? i understand the point of going 6" now, and add body later if i want bigger tires, but since i'm running a 10 bolt front, that's not going to happen anytime soon. i'm going to stay with a 35-36" tire. since the body isn't on the K10 frame right now, i can add a body lift without any extra work involved.

paxx, i think you misread my post, unless you're responding to someone else. i am intending on running the stock rear springs no matter which way i go.

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

4" + 2" Lift works fine for me......and flexes like mad! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I'm actually running closer to 7" total lift now with the taller D60 and longer rear shackles.....but I'm also on 38.5's now too. I'd really like to pull about 1" back out of the lift somehow.

The body lift is nice for creating clearance for the distributor on a BBC swap...it also gives you a bit more room for Rancho 9012 shocks out back (installed upright) without cutting holes through the floor. There are some nice little "bonuses" from body lift that you don't often hear about. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my burb is getting 1" body lift mainly for clearance in case I do tranny work or such things. All those spots on the K5 during motor swaps I wished I had 1 more damn inch.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would run a 6" lift so that way you can always gain more lift later with a 3" body if you need it. If you are stuck on wanting 4" springs than I would use zero rates and extended shackles in the front and a shackle flip in the rear or 2" block.

Like Greg said, there is a few advantages of a body lift but also your bumpers have to be lifted if looks are any concern.

13. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would run a 6" lift so that way you can always gain more lift later with a 3" body if you need it. If you are stuck on wanting 4" springs than I would use zero rates and extended shackles in the front and a shackle flip in the rear or 2" block.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was trying to say. Another way to get your 6" suspension but to keep it flexy by using 4" springs.

It seemed to me like the only thing keeping you from going 6" suspension was that the spring rate was too high. Hope that makes sense. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. rjfguitar

I would still go 6" springs though because if you ever decided to go bigger then you could get another 1" or 2 out of the suspension. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

For example...I might go with 39.5's one day but I need more lift to do it, I can add zero rates and extended shackles to my current springs and get enough lift, If I had 4" springs I would be maxed out already trying to make my current heigth. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. Monster

Monster Registered Member

If he uses 6"springs what does he have to do for his driveshafts?? Will he need to lengthen them?? Just wondering. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

well, so far i've been convinced of the 6" lift. does anybody happen to know the spring rate for the 6' BDS front springs?

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    well, so far i've been convinced of the 6" lift. does anybody happen to know the spring rate for the 6' BDS front springs?

[/ QUOTE ] Nice and soft, Far as I know they are the best riding spring on the market.

You probably will need lengthened driveshafts but you might be able to get away without it, I have for a long time.

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i was planning on custom shafts anyways, since i have none to play with right now, and we have a good driveshaft shop here in town.

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    i was planning on custom shafts anyways, since i have none to play with right now, and we have a good driveshaft shop here in town.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Good I idea, I'm having custom shafts built tommorrow! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif