Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" suspension 3" Body Lift!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StiffRide81, Sep 8, 2002.

1. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

4\" suspension 3\" Body Lift!!!

Hey... Just wondering... I am planning on doing a 4" suspension lift for sure... But I was thinking of also doing a 3" body lift as well. What I need to know is..
    1. How hard is it to do a body lift??
    2. What else am I going to need to get because of the lift, like steering shaft and drive shafts and things of that nature???
    3. Then finally, what size tire could I fit on that animal... once both were in place??
    And always... thanks for the help! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Re: 4\" suspension 3\" Body Lift!!!

1. Not that hard, but your body bolts are going to be a BEEEOOOTTTCCCHHHH. That IL salt will surely have them locked in.

2. The stock steering shaft will work, just extend it by drilling or heating up the nylon inserts. Your driveshafts "Should" be fine with a 4". You may have to lower your t-case though.

3. 33's, easy. 35's will still hit with the wheels turned at full stuff. 38's with fender trimming.

I have this exact set-up, and have run all the tires sizes above, so this is my first hand exp.

good luck rob

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm running 4" + 3" body with 38's and a lot of trimming as stated above. Additional items with the body lift are modifications to the tailgate springs on blazers, relocating the bumpers up, elongating the t-case stick hole in the floor so it will stay in 4-low-loc, lengthening the tranny shifter rod and modifying your fan shroud back down.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Everything that Robert and Miocheal said. I run a 4" susp. lift and a 3" body lift in my '74. I can run 36x14.50's without rubbing on 10" wheels, but I run my 38x12.50's on 8" wheels and I don't rub at all unless I am getting pretty twisted up. And yes, I have twisted it hard enough to break my top and my windsheild...at the same time! Oh yeah, I have done zero trimming. It's the 10" wide wheels that make you rub and have to trim the fenders. Also, when you run 10" wheels, the 38" o.d. of the tire shrinks to about 36". We all have what works for us. You can see what others are doing and then decide what works best for you. Click on my link to see pics of the K5 with the 38's on it. I don't have any with some real flexing going on, (kinda hard to drive and operate the camera at the same time /forums/images/icons/grin.gif )but I should soon.

5. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

You guys really seem to know your SH!T... I dont think I want to have to go through all that work right now.. I need this puppy for winter.. so what I am going to do is just do the 4" suspension lift....
    What size tires can I use with a 4" suspension lift and some fenders flares ?????(minor trimming.. like a couple of inches here.. couple inches there....) This is using 10" Wide rims.. mind you. I want to get the most height out of this as possible.. so the bigger the better... I want to get something along the lines of 36-38 by like 14.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You can run 33's with no problems and no trimming. You can run 35's if you trim a little off the front fenders. Remember, when you run a wider wheel the actual o.d of the tire shrinks. That'll help you decide which wheel/tire combo you want and how much lift/trimming you need.

7. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

With the 4inches, 33's are a perfect fit with no trimming. That's what I have but to be honest I wish I had gone for the 35's and a trim. I wasn't ready to hack the fenders yet, but by the time I am ready for new tires I'm sure I'll be ready to do much more than just a little trimming!

8. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I have 39.5's and 15x10's and they are exactly 39.5" tall.

9. chillywilly

chillywilly Registered Member

Ive been running 35s with 4 inch suspension and bushwacker cutout flares.They do rub if ya really twist it.Movin on up to 37s or 38s in spring. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

could you tell me more about modifing the t-case hole ? 3 inch bod and four inch suspension is what ill evently have. i have never heard of this one and i want know problems when it happens. thanks.

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm running a th-350/np203. When I shift into 4LOC the shifter swings forward until it just barely touches the edge of the shifter hole but goes into gear. When I'm gassing it, boucing around or get really twisted up the body flexes and taps it out of 4LOC. I made a small 1 inch cut in the shifter hole and have had no more problems.

12. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. much appreciated.