Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" Suspension with 35 inch tires.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StiffRide81, Oct 4, 2002.

1. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

4\" Suspension with 35 inch tires.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifI have 35's on my rig with a four inch suspension lift. My question is... am I going to be breaking all kinds of parts now because of the 35's and if so... what should I get to toughen things up (and dont say a dana 60 for the front an a 14bolt ff for the rear!!)
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifThanks.

2. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

Re: 4\" Suspension with 35 inch tires.

well i have the same thing, and all i bust is ujoints, but i have only busted 2 in the past year and 3 months

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Its all in how you drive.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I ran a 4" and 35's for years on my '79 with 1/2 ton gear. I had no problems. I wasn't what you would consider a hard core wheeler, but I did have fun. I currently run 38's on my '74 with a 1/2 ton D44 and 12 bolt (I'll probably get falmed for this combo, but I don't care /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). I wheel it fairly hard (meaning technical trails) and I haven't broken anything yet. If you're not a throttle jockey then you should be fine.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Well this has been covered many times before. If you drive easy, you will likely not have too many problems. The 1/2 ton axles are probably the weakest links, especially the rear. Make sure you use good U-joints everywhere and that everything is properly maintained. If it isn't broke, don't worry about it. Just drive reasonably, knowing that there is a potential weakness.

When you break 10-bolts, the parts to fix them are easy to come by. But if you do break a lot and get tired of it, you can always get a 14BSF 6-lug axle for the back and swap it in without needing a new front axle or new wheels.

6. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I run 4" lift and 35's. Have had them on for over a year. AT first i busted U-Joints, but it was because my driveshaft angle was correct, i actually screwed up my whole tail shaft on my tcase and the ujoints and dropped my driveshaft on the street due to it. Since I got my angle corrected and went to spicer ujoints... i have had no problems. I think the height/ride are perfect for me. I have a 79, 10 bolt front, 12 bolt rear. And currently I am running stock gears. I have the Goodyear Wrangler MTRs, on Mickey Thompson Alcoa Classics. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sell ya a D60 and 14ff with 4.10s /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Of you can do the chromo parts in teh 1/2 ton stuff but I think by they time you get all those parts you could get a set of 1-ton gear.

8. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Been running that way for 5 years (35's, 4", 10b). Only broken U-joints and one shock mount (don't land on big rocks when you're flying /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have been running that combo for 2 years and I only broke front axle U joints when I put a front locker and wheeled it hard on rocks, but those joints were old anyway, I will replace them with the best U joints I can find and I don't think I should have any problems.
    Up to 35" should be fine with 1/2 ton, you could get away with 38" if you know how to wheel them beyond that it is easier to go 3/4 or heavier.
    IceMan

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im running 35's on 4" of lift and my rear end broke on me a couple weeks ago, Here is what was left of the carrier. So i picked up a 14SF 6-Lug, Let me tell you this axle is beefy for a 1/2 ton axle. I dont think its gonna break on me.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's not a 1/2 ton. It's the light duty 3/4 ton.
    IceMan

12. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I am runnin on 12 bolt & D44 1/2ton equip w/ 6" lift 2" body 38" TSL/SX's Got CV in rear drive line /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. So far no problems! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Bill

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Bill, you've been lucky so far! I ran 38s on a beefed D44/12 bolt combo and broke pretty much everything at various times. I gave up after the second ring gear in the 44 and went 1 ton.</font color>

14. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Someday I'll go 1ton as I can afford to later.
    Bill