Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" Suspension with body lift ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BCJimmy, Sep 6, 2005.

1. BCJimmy

BCJimmy Registered Member

my 90 k5 has a 4" bds lift (rear blocks). I currently have 33x12.5x15 and recently grenaded the rear end and replaced with corporate 14 and will be swaping front axle to a dana 44. Anyhow I have to change wheels ( 5 bolt to 8 bolt) so I figure what better time to go bigger. I was looking at the Interco Irok 36x13.5x16. I want to know if it is safe to add a body-lift with my current 4" suspension lift, and will I need 2" or 3", any recomendation or downfalls to watch for? This place is GREAT!!!

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Body lift, while potentially a PITA, won't affect the suspension. You'll have to address the fan shroud, transmission and t-case linkages, brake lines, bumpers ... prolly some other stuff that escapes me at the moment.

Umm, you had 5 lug wheels before? Is it a 2WD truck? I thought the 4WD's all had 6.

Anyway, 36x13.5 is about as big as you'll want to run on a D44, be careful with the skinny pedal. The 14 bolt will of course hold up to them no problem.

You might consider just trimming the fenders. I'm running 35x12.50's on 4" and have enough room I could go to 37"+ without more lift ... but then I did chop my wheel wells to hell. My excuse was that I just cut out the rust ... kept chopping 'till I got solid metal :haha:

-- A

3. BCJimmy

sorry for the mistake (umm typo I mean :D ) it is 6 bolt. what did you mean by "Anyway, 36x13.5 is about as big as you'll want to run on a D44, be careful with the skinny pedal" Do you not think the dana 44 is strong enough, if not, do you have any suggestions. I have not got the front axle replacement yet, so if something better then I would go with that. I am also considering just going to a straight 6" lift. Do you think that would work for 36x13.5x16 ??

4. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Go with a Dana 60. A guy here keeps braking stub axles with a 44 running 36" TSL's. 6 inch should be plenty of lift. As far as I will ever go. But with 6 inches I plan on running 40's or 42's. Mild fender triming. :D

5. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

than i guess a d44 or 10 bolt are useles

I think it depends on what you are going to do to your rig. DO NOT just buy a d60 because it is beefy, if you do not need it leave it alone for someone else to buy. I hate it when I see a perfectly good D60 used in something it is not needed for (mainly show rigs with no front driveshaft).

Key point is if you can get by with a d44 or 10b (same strength) keep it. no need to make d60s that much harder to find.

4+3 lift should work just fine for 36's

6. BCJimmy

thanks for all the help and info so far guys. :D

7. BCJimmy

I just found a D44 for sale and it's complete w/ 4.10's (just what I need). I will only be wheelin a few times a year. No rock climbing, just some mud, and trails,. Shouldn't the D44 work fine? Just gonna use 35" or 36" tires.