Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" to a 6" Lift

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by midnitlove, Jul 24, 2001.

1. midnitlove

midnitlove Registered Member

4\" to a 6\" Lift

72 K5 . I have a 4" lift and would like to change it to a 6" and the bigger tires....etc. What do you recommend?? Which lift is the best for 50% street and 50% offroad. I like to haul behind in the desert. I see all these posts for the shakle flip and I'm not sure excactly what the shackle flip does?? More height?? More flex?? Better ride?? I was leaning more towards the Sky Jacker 6". The suggestion box is open. Thanks.

<font color=red> AMIGOS SO. CAL </font color=red>

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: 4

What size tires do you have now? Mine had 33's on it when I bought it and now has 36's. I kept the 4" lift (I am not sure if it is even a true 4") and did some minor trimming of the front of the front and rear wheel wells. I also have 3.73 gears and it sucks with the tall tires. I am now looking on a D60 and 14FF swap w/ 4.10 or 4.56 gears. I would worry about more lift later and put the $$$ into other things. You might also want to post this on the 1st Gen board.

Where do you live in OC? I live in La Mirada (on the border of LA and OC).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

3. midnitlove

midnitlove Registered Member

I've got 33's. I just bought it in april. 3:73 gears. I figured 36's would take some of my power away. I was going to put some 35's for now and trade them to 36's later. I too have a sbc 400, but from what I read here on the board 36's do not work well with 3:73, just as you said. I'm wondering if I should get the 36's put the 6" lift and then change out the gears after. Or I could just get the 35's and trade them later for 36's after I swap gears

<font color=red> AMIGOS SO. CAL </font color=red>

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Try going to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ring-pinion.com/calculators/rpm_1.html>http://www.ring-pinion.com/calculators/rpm_1.html</a>. You can enter in all the #'s and find out what RPM you will be spinning. I would think about changing the gears first before you do the tires and lift. I may have messed up my tranny from overheating it because of the improper gear ratio. With the taller tires the torque conveter slipps more creating more heat (I also don't have a aux. trans cooler...yet).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Triaged,

Perhaps a trans cooler OR an on-board fire suppression system should be next on your list!!?!?!?!?

LOL.... if the rest of you were at BlazerFest, you'd understand this comment.

-Greg72

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: 4\" to a 6\" Lift

Speed and comfort in the desert are 2 things that really depend on what you want to spend. Ideally you should get a set of custom leaves, stay around 4" and invest in good shocks. That may be the way to start heading. I know I was pretty happy with mine running just that setup, and it bolted into the stock mounting points. At least the springs did.
    The main point of the flip kit is to keep a shorter arch spring in the rear. The early k5's use a really deep arch that can get stiff in a hurry, so you're better off with the flip kit and a short spring.
    Hope this helps, and he's right, you might try the early board for some more advice.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD