Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" Tuff Country lift problems...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kp texan, Oct 28, 2005.

1. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Now that I just installed a 4" Tuff Country lift with EZ ride springs, TC steering arm, and 33" tires, I am having a problem with bump steer. After searching and filtering through many old threads, one of the only solutions I could come up with was a new steering stabilizer. I then replaced my stock stabilizer with a single Tuff Country unit and it helped my problem some but bump steer is still an issue. The only other possible solution I've found is maybe by adding an ORD Swaybar correction/disconnect kit.

Did any of you other guys with a 4" Tuff country lift have similar problems and, if so, what did you do to correct them? Possibly a different steering arm than the 4" unit from Tuff country? This is almost enough to make me get rid of the lift and just trim some fenders.

Thanks so much for the help,

Wes

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Installed their kit under one of my trucks. I didn't have any problems with bump steer, but I did install the sway bar disconnect kit at the same time. I'm not too sure if the disconnects would have any impact on your situation. There were a lot of threads on this subject a while back, so they might help you out. Good luck.

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

check all ball joints and tie rod ends for wear. bigger tires will make more problems on worn parts. and wider tires will be more sensitive to ruts in the road and pull you around.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a little bump steer after installing my lift and a new stabilizer in the stock location cured it.

6. 1987Chevy

1987Chevy Registered Member

bump steer gone

I had pretty nasty bump steer when I was running the same set up you have then I heard people talking about running a drop pitman on 4" set ups so I put a drop pitman on and the bump steer is gone

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Did you use a torque wrench on the ALL of the U-bolts? My '90 Sub had pretty bad bump steer when I did the ol' "crank 'em until they feel tight" for a quick drive around the block to check things out. Then I tightened them to spec using a torque wrench and it took a LOT more cranking to tighten them the rest of the way. :eek1: Don't forget to check the rear ones also, as just a tiny bit of movement back there will make the truck jittery.

Also make sure that the spring eye mounts are snugged up against the spring bushings. Any slop there will let the rig steer itself.

Once I had all of that done properly, my truck drove about 100% better, but the ride was still VERY stiff. I swapped on the ORD sway bar disconnect from my K5 and it drove even better. The angle of the sway bar after a lift makes it really fight any axle movement. The sway bar disconnects add a couple of movement points that really smoothed things out.

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When you say "steering arm" are you talking about a dropped drag-link or a dropped pitman arm? This could make a big difference. Dropped drag-links "SUCK". Dropped pitman arms are the way to go.

Like HarryH3 said, make sure your U-Bolts are tightened down properly. 9/16 inch U-bolts are usually torqued down to 125 Ft. Lbs, and 5/8 inch U-bolts are torqued down to 150 Ft. Lbs.

Another thing to check is your alignment. If your toe is out enough it can make a lifted truck handle like crap.

You also may have lost some positive caster, in your alignment, as well when you lifted your truck. This will cause the trucks handling to feel more neutral.

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

hey man

If you want, you can bring your truck by my house on Sunday and we can check it out together. There are 2 Blazers at home that run the 4" TC lifts. We can compare angles and such. 2 brains are better than 1.
    I live in Allen, like 10 minutes from Mckinney.

10. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

get rid of the raised steering arm and use a drop pitman arm. I had the same problem w. that exact same lift and using the drop pitman arm cured about 95% of my bumpsteer

11. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Post up a pic of your drag link. If it is anywhere near horizontal, that'll be your problem. The rear end os it needs to be a few inches lower than the front. A 2" drop pitman arm may sort your problems rather than a raised steering arm.

12. jims505

jims505 Registered Member

I put a TC 4" E-Z ride lift on my 72 Jimmy,springs front and rear. Raised steering arm. I also replaced the tie rod ends and put on a adjustable drag link.All new poly bushings. Torqued every thing to specs. New shocks.Running 33 BFG'S.NO bump steer problems.Ride is still pretty rough though.But it does look good.

JIMMY004.jpg

13. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

This forum is awesome! I can't believe the help I get on here. Well I guess it seems a drop pitman arm may be the way to go then. Looks like this may be the part I need: http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp?part=SJA-CA50

I just use that with my original stock steering arm right? I sure hope my shop didnt throw my old steering arm away!

Leper: I'd definately take you up on that but I'm gonna be at Lake Texoma all weekend. Maybe some other weekend?

Thanks so much for the help, guys!!

-Wes

14. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

everyone always complains about how hard raised steering arms are to install. I'm wondering,comparatively, how hard is it to install a dropped pitman arm?

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Interesting, after my lift, the only bump steer i have, is when her head hits the steering wheel :doah: :eek: :dunno: :ignore:

seriously though, maybe just a different lift kit maker, but i really didn't feel any bumpsteer after my install, maybe thats because everything was out of whack afterwards anyways,,,

nevermind :D

16. Mammoth2

Mammoth2 Registered Member

17. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Sorry to dig up an old thread but after several months of my bumb steer being present, I finally broke down and bought this: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SJA-CA50&N=115&autoview=sku

I went by my mechanic shop to see if I could track down my old steering arm since they took it off to put the raised steering arm on. The guy who put my lift on insisted that it would be a mistake to put a drop pitman arm on because it would put more torque on the steering box and it probably wouldnt change the draglink angle. As of now my draglink is perfectly horizontal and he said thats how it should be. According to you guys, who I trust because you have experience with the K5, the draglink should be slightly angled down towards the back. My mechanic is blaming my bump steer on the Tuff Country EZ ride spring and he claims that they are probably too soft, and the motion from the soft springs is pushing on the draglink and causing my bump steer. He said the only thing to remedy the problem would probably be to install some Rancho 9000 adjustables to dampen the spring travel even more. What do you guys think? Should I just not listen to him and install the pitman arm anyway or return it and get my $100 back?

Thanks so much,

Wes

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you need to find a stock steering arm, I can probably scrounge one up for ya. :)

19. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I still think you should come by my house in Allen and let me take a look at it.

20. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Go by LEPERS and figure it out. I think your mechanic is pulling your leg or doesnt know what hes talking about in this situation. Im about 10 min. south of leper so even more heads are better than 1.