Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" vs. 6" Lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1bad2, Jun 7, 2000.

1. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

4\" vs. 6\" Lift

What would have to be done with a 6" lift that would not need to be done with a 4"? Should 36x12.50x15 TSL Radials fit an 88 with a 6" lift? Are there any "hidden" costs involved when installing a 6" lift? I have quad shocks on the front of my Jimmy, will this cause problems with finding shocks for a 6" lift? I tow a 3500 pound trailer with my truck very often, will a 6" lift and 36's cause any major problems? Will the 3.73 gears in my 10 bolts be allright for a year or so until I can find a 14 bolt FF? Please help! I have never lifted a truck before and would love to lift my Jimmy.
    Thanks
    Curtis

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: 4\" vs. 6\" Lift

<font color=blue>you can fit 36s with a 4" lift and minor trimming. I think Steve has that setup and is happy with it. you will definetly need to drop the transfer case, and add degree shims under the rear springs. Longer brake lines will be necassary in the front, and a drop braket will have to be made for the P-Brake cables (my dad had to do this when he put his 6" skyjacker kit on his K10). You can order another pair of front shocks if you want to keep the dual front setup, it doesn't effect the lifting of the truck
    As for towing, the 3.73s with the 36s will be no fun at all by themselves, and even worse with towing (that is if the 10 bolt can make it to highway speeds without shattering). it would be safer to wait until you get the 14 if you want to tow with 36s, not to mention that you have to buy new wheels and tires to switch from 1/2 to 3/4 ton. Having a tire/drum/peice of broken shaft passing you on the highway (with a 3500lb trailer on the back) is a bad thing. Lifted trucks with aggresive mud tires aren't good heavy duty tow rigs either. All bad characteristics will be even worse with large mud tires. what are you towing?

3. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Get a 6". The only thing that I did to mine when I put the 6" on my Jimmy was new brake lines and longer driveshafts. It works just fine and I'm running 35" Swamper SX's. People always have told me that dropping the t-case will screw stuff up. I just went and had both driveshafts lengthened and went about my business. The brake lines are a must though. Mine were stretched to the limit and it was probably just a matter of time before one of them snapped. Good luck. Got any ?'s feel free to ask. I also have a pic of my Jimmy if you would like to see it.

Alex
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!![​IMG]

4. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

Hey BigRay, I will be towing my 64 Nova alot with this truck. Waiting to get the 14 bolt would be fine but I am on a limited budget and my stock rallys are bent (3 of the 4) and I cant spare that much cash. I have a buddy that has a 6" softride kit that he used on a mud truck that he might sell me, so the 6" will endup cheeper than a new 4" unless I can find one of them used too. I dont really want to trim my fenders for more tires either. Can I run single shocks on my quad shock frontend? Are the shocks the same with single and quad shocks?
    Thanks
    Curtis
    [​IMG]

4x4ingkid, I would love to see a picture of your Jimmy. How much did you have to extend your shafts? Did you have to extend the front and rear? I thought you had to drop the T Case to keep the truck from vibrating. Does you truck get the shakes? I run 32" SX's on my truck now and love them! How do you like yours?
    Thanks
    Curtis

5. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Nice Nova! i could get in some serious trouble with that.....

If you can get this cheap, i say get it then hold on to it until you have the cash for the 14 bolt. You can just use one shock instead of doubles, it'll ride and flex better. If you get new rims and TSLs for the stock axles, you're gonna end up spending more when you do the 14 bolt swap (new tires and wheels are needed) not to mention the 36s and a heavy car trailer WILL break the 10 bolt and that's very dangerous, espicailly when towing, because the wheel comes out and you're 3 wheelin from then on. I would keep the K5 the way it is now, then lift it when you can do it the right way. It's much safer and you'll be glad you did. I have a set of 15x10 AR Outlaw IIs that will be for sale soon, 2 look new, the other two are loosing some of the coating, but they're fine otherwise. How do those SXs wear?

Here's a pic that blzr4x4ngkid sent me [​IMG]

6. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

I'm interested in those Outlaw II's so just let me know when you are ready to sell them. The SX's don't wear very well at all, I bought them used for $300 so I figured I would give them a try and I really like how they work off road but their road manners arent very good, they are noisey (I like that part), they shake the truck VERY bad on cold mornings, and like I said they don't wear very good. Thanks for the compliment on the Nova, it's alot of fun!
    Curtis
    P.S. How much for the rims? Whare do you live?
    64 Nova 383 stroker, 11:1 compression, Trick Flow Heads, 1.75" fenderwell exit heders, 3" Flowmaster's

7. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Uhhhhh.....WHOA!! That's my truck!! What the hell?!?! I can't figure out how to do that on these forums. Those SX's are darn good off-road and I wish I could say they are crappy on the road. I don't seem to notice this "bad" road handling. I think they are fine. Yes they are a little rough in the mornings, and yes they hum like an airplane. It's a sweet sound though. It puts me back in the cockpit of my dad's Beechcraft 200 King Air. Love that humming. Hope you guys like the pic of my "ride." Later

Alex
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!![​IMG]

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Concerning the rear axle upgrade, I'm usually a fan of the 10-bolt and recommend it alot, but the combination of 36" tires and frequent towing would make the 14-bolt a wise upgrade. Just keep in mind that Blazers typically are not as stable as the longer wheelbase pickups are and the additional height of the lift kit and large tires "could" cause it to be a little more squirrelly while pulling the trailer. The tall, aggresive tires usually are not the best either because of a lot of sidewall height which can cause more squirm and the big lugs also flex. I'm not saying it cannot be done, just be careful.

9. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I'm converting to 3/4 ton axles (dana 60 rear and dana 44 front) so as soon as i'm done with that I'll sell the rims. One has a small chip in the side but in the 18 months that I've had them, it's never been a problem once and can be easily fixed. i'm in northern NJ.</font color=blue>

10. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

Would a 4" lift and 33's be allright for towing with my stock 10 bolt?
    Curtis