Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4" vs 6" vs 8" Superlift softrides

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Puckett, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Puckett

Puckett Registered Member

I messed up the title, the kits are Skyjacker, not Superlift - I fixed the message too.

As I was looking through Summitracing, my favorite parts store, I started comparing the Skyjacker kits for my 88 v20 suburban that feature all spring lift (except the 8" - no 8" 56" spring).

My goal is to find a suspension system that is most practical for trails, logging roads, something that can make it through the main trails in Livingston Kentucky (my stomping grounds), and camping trails (around Laurel River Lake and Lake Cumberland). I will find tires to match lift height after deciding on suspension.

These are the summit part numbers and prices for the kits, components verified from skyjacker.com:

8" lift # SJA-C180BKSD8 $1003.95
    Contains:
    2 - c180s : 8" front springs
    2 - cr26s : 6" 56" long rear springs
    2 - 2" rear lift blocks
    Steering Arm
    Front and Rear U-bolt kit
    Spring Bushing kit
    Brake line extension

6" lift # SJA-C160BKSD8 $952.95
    Contains:
    2 - c160s : 6" front springs
    2 - cr26s : 6" 56" long rear springs
    Steering Arm
    Spring Bushing kit
    Brake line extension

4" lift # SJA-C140BKSD8 $900.95
    Contains:
    2 - c140s : 4" front springs
    2 - cr24s : 4" 56" long rear springs
    Spring Bushing kit

Central 4wd has a 2" and a 3" body lift kit available, both for $97.31

I personally don't have a problem with body lifts, so combining a shorter suspension lift with a body is fine, but these kits are not that far apart pricewise. I don't like blocks at all ,so I am already leaning towards the 6". I don't want to do much fabrication work to make these work either.

If you have experience with any of these kits, good or bad, please tell about it. One big concern I have seen on here searching is the steering and driveshafts portion of the big lifts. Has anyone had driveshaft problems with the 8" kits for sure? If so please tell about it. Sorry but I already have read the "I think" and "you'll probably" warnings from searching. I'd really like to hear from someone with the lift that had the problem themselves, such as steering really being hard to control and driveshaft problems (like coming apart or pre-mature ujoint failure type things).

For those who would like to speculate, you think the 6" would be fine, or would the 4" with a 2" or 3" body be even better? Ride quality is not such a concern as reliability is. I want a very solid suspension, no blocks at all, no AALs for premature spring pack failure problems I've had before.

So have at it, these are the choices I'm looking at so let me know your recomendations.

Puckett
    www.kyttora.com

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

General consensus your going to get is go with a tuff country or bds lift kit. No one here (or very few at the most) are going to ever reccomend superlifts... both tc and bds have life time warrantys and are better riding/ performing kits. i know muddy buddy has a 8" bds on his blazer... look around here a lil but, do some searches and you can learn alot about steering/ suspension setups. if your going to lift it by all mean swap to crossover steering.

3. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

I had a 7" lift on my blazer, 6" tc springs up front with 1" zero rate, 4" ORD flip, AAL, zero rate. If you want something THAT high its the way to go. Rode great for what it was and wasn't overly expensive. I didn't go to crossover, and still haven't, but i want to soon. Its a very worthwhile mod. As for the driveshaft delima, i actually used my stockers...had to grind out the rear some but it worked. The front was just a hair too short (splines started to show, about 1/8" or so) but i never had a problem with them falling out or breaking u joints and yes, i did beat on the truck. It will kill u joints a lot quicker than stock but its just one of those "you gotta pay to play" type things. Id def recommend TC or BDS for your front springs and an ORD or DIY4x flip out back. Both are awesome flips and have pros and cons and the ORD flip worked out better for me. You have to do some research and find out what is actually best for you.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

5. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I've got 4" Superlift front and rear springs and love them. I did not buy a kit though. I got the springs and shocks through Superlifts e-bay store. I got the u-bolts from my local NAPA, and got ORD's greasable bushings and front shackles. I got a steering arm from somewhere else too.
    With 4" on my suburban, I have no issues with driveshaft angle. Just looking at it, if I were to go 6" I think I would have to put degree shims on the front axle.

6. Puckett

Thanks, familiar with shackle flips and ord actually, good writeup.

Puckett

7. Puckett

You running 35's with your setup?

8. dunehopper502

dunehopper502 Registered Member

im running a 6" superlift with a 3" body on my k5 and havent had any troubles at all,id recommend a cardian joint rear driveshaft because i do get a little vibration on deaccel or better yet a slip yoke eliminator with a fixed yoke...
    ive had superlift on my last chevy shortbox truck and no problems with that either

9. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I'm running 33"s now.

10. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have the superlift 6" springs in ft and the 2.5 springs with ORD flip in the rear. I have no complants with them. They flex very well for a spring. I did brake the ft spring due to over flex one to many times. But they have a life time replacement. My rear are also starting to sag. I called 4wheel parts on them and they said bring them back and they will replace them free of charge.

I had at one time the tuff country on another K5 4" lift did ride a little softer
    which was nice for a daily driver.

But all in all if I was to do it agine I would do custom national springs or Alcans.

But thats just my .02

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You could consider SkyJacker SoftRides as well. SkyJacker is more expensive than any other kits, but that is because the springs are made in Ameraica from American steel. SuperLift springs are made in India.

12. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have 6" superlift softride up front with ORD zero rate and they ride just fine... flex too.. I am limited due to shocks extended stop my flex and on upward I am limited to my cab being in the way!!!!!

13. Puckett

Man, until you mentioned it I didn't realize that the stuff I had listed was Skyjacker, not Superlift. I don't know why I thought superlift either.

Oh well. The whole thread is kinda messed up now, oh well