Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 wheel difficult to use

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Snowman1000, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Snowman1000

Snowman1000 1/2 ton status

The four wheel on my truck works now but it is hard to get into 4 wheel drive you really got to pull on the lever hard to get it to pop in then it works is this normal or is there some linkage or somthing I can lubricate

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

what kind of t-case is it? Some times it helps just to roll forward a couple inches while your trying to shift it into 4WD.

3. Snowman1000

It is whatever chevy put on there automatic transmissions another question how do you tell what trans is in the truck the 300 or the 700 I would check the build sheet but it says that the truck originally came with a manual but it is long gone except for the bracket that holds the clutch is there some easy way to tell, this is a 75 K-5 with an automatic and a 350 V8 please ask more questions if you think that they will help.

4. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

My guess would be a th350 trans and a np203 tcase considering the year. But since you said things got switched around I have no idea. I forget the link but there's a site that has great ref pics for figuring out if its a 203, 205, etc. It also say on it btw, there should be alittle tag thing I think on the front near the pass side for the 203 but I dont really remember I'd have to look

5. Snowman1000

I looked on the id sheet in the pass side glove glove box and it just says "conventional 4 wheel drive" and the option number but not the id of the case I will try and take a look in the morning but I think that the transfer case is original but the trans definatly got changed there is a peice of sheetmetal caulked over the hole for the old stick shift this case has a place on the side were the spedo cable screws into but I dont think that that helps much.

6. Snowman1000

Yeah curiosity got the best of me and I went out and crawled underneath and from the pictures on a couple of sites that I went to it is a NP203 with the spedocable conecting on the drivers side and what is all this buisness with the four wheel lock when I shift my case it only feels like there are 4 positions lo all the way forward then neutral then 2 wheel the 4 hi all the way back but to me it definetly looks like the Np203. and the trans I just identified by the pan it is a TH350 is that the 350 turbo trans? is it a decent transmission? and what would cause it to not want to shift in the cold weather? if you drive it like a semi-automatic and shift it like a manual until the engine warms up a little then it shifts fine?

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Are you putting the tranny in neutral before you try shifting the t-case?

8. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Sounds to me like the oil is in need of changing in the t-case. I had the same problem during cold weather (the only time I would ever use 4wd around here) and when I popped the plug, I found a bunch of water in the case. It would start to freeze up and made shifting into 4hi a real PITA. So check that first. Next, make sure the linkage isnt binding up. Regardless of what t-case you have, if the linkage is loose or bent, you'll have problems shifting.
    As for verifying which trans/t-case you have, look up Petersons 4wd and Offroad. They have a section with pictures of the more popular trannies and cases that can be found in different vehicles. Just look under Tech articles and then under the Drivetrain section.

9. Snowman1000

this is a 203 t case so there isnt a drain plug just a fill plug on the back face at the top, so I would drain it by loosening the bottom most bolt on the case? what kind of oil do I fill the case with. I am sure that the trans is a th350 becasue I found a site that had the three different shapes of the oil pans on the trans and myne is a square with a corner cut off which matchs the pics I saw of the th350 trans and yes I am puting the trans in neutral before trying to shift the case

10. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

The np 203 takes motor oil 10w30 or 10w40 oil. top off until oil is coming out of fill hole. The transmission is a th350. It is considered light duty 3 speed automatic, not a bad tranny. The np 203 has 5 positions, lo, lo loc, hi, hi loc, neutral.

In Order by the shifter with lo loc being closest to the dash board.

Lo Loc
    Lo
    N
    Hi
    Hi Loc

If the front hubs are locked then the transfercase will work as indicated. If the previous owner put on lockouts and there un locked, the transfercase will not recognize the lo and hi functions therefore you are forced to use lo loc and hi loc, which spins both driveshafts all the time. When on the street with a np 203, i put it in hi loc and unlock the front hubs.

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

203 shifters suck ass, if they get even alittle bit of crap in them, they gum up and become hard to shift. Pull the boot off the shifter from the inside the truck and expost the shifter. It's a little rectangular box looking thing. Spary the shiit out of it with wd-40 or similar while working it back and forth. That should free it up a bit. Theres also an adjustment procedure for 203 shifters. I think it is described in the Hanyes books you can get at Autozone. That might be another thing for you to look into.

12. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Kick the hell out of it when you need to and don't look back. You can't be afraid to use some muscle on it.

13. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm, you should NOT have to do that...And it is possible to bend/break shift linkage if you kick the lever. There is a problem if the shifter cant be moved relitively easily by hand.

14. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

15. Snowman1000

The shifter moves ok it just doesnt want to go into the gear and some refing is required I will pull the boot up I only can find 4 different gear selections none of the loc or anything?

16. Snowman1000

Lubed up the linkage and the 4 wheel works but I still cant seem to find the extra loc deals the front end has a set of spicer manual locking hubs would that change anything?

17. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

If you have 4 selections plus Neutral, thats a np 203. If you have 3 selections plus neutral, you have a np 205. Either way you look at it, the shifters are hard to shift and the np 205 is the hardest to get out of 4 lo.

If you have the np 205, it goes like this

4lo
    N
    2hi
    4hi

Id rebuild the shifter first and see whats stopping the linkage. The linkage jam is a common problem on the np203. Good luck

18. Snowman1000

I am 100 percent sure that it is a np203 I found the data plate and it says new process 203 is this how the gears go now after a good squirting of liduid wrench the lever move pretty easily
    4lo loc
    4lo
    n
    2hi
    4hi

19. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

MAN I had a 203 in my last truck, I could NOT get it into Low Loc.

I even tried stepping on it, and kicking it, and eveything. And this was AFTER I used a whole 2 litre jug of WD40 on it.....

Oh and by the way, WD40 bites @ss. I once tried to get a stuck brake union off, and I wrapped it in Kleenex, and soaked it every hour on the hour while at work, and it didn't come off. Pick up some LPS penatrating fluid, and it cut through in 20 minutes. Don't waste your time, or money on that stuff.

It's a crappy Lubricant, and a crappy penatrant.

20. Snowman1000

I think that it freed up enough now I just dont know the order for the transfer case my tranfercase only has the gear selector of an np205 with just 4lo n two and 4 hi not the extra stuff.