Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 wheel disc conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alec78, Sep 19, 2002.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I was doing some checking and found someone who makes the proportioning valve for a drum to disc conversion!

http://www.inlinetube.com/pro_valves.htm

It appears they do other stuff that could be very worth while!

alec78

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

With the exception of the Vett and few other cars I think those are mostly dirrected at Vehicle that are converting the FRONT from Drum to Disc. Still a good link with pretty reasonable prices.
    A few people on here are finding that on a K5 that just removing the proporting valve when converting the rear to disc seems to be the ticket. The stock master is already supply a little less volume and presure to the rear and it's working out fairly well. I'll be finding out in the next couple weeks when I do mine.

3. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I got too much of the link in the original post /forums/images/icons/blush.gif . If you go to the home page and click on their catalog, select your specific vech. at the bottom is a disc/disc prop. valve. I called them and they do carry them for trucks!

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

How does that work? Removing the prop. valve, just to the rear? or...... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I no get it? Does it work well?

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Just put a a end to end adaptor for the rear and a Y for the front where the stock valve is. The adjustable valve would go in the rear line. What I'm trying to find out is if the proportioning valve holds any pressure on the lines. The concern is the pads may retract to far and cause excessive peddle travel. If it does then a set of residual valves can be installed to solve that.
    What the proporting valve does do is delay the fluid to the rears. Reason being is Drum brakes are self activating. If they didn't delay they would grab before the fronts did. The rears also need less pressure and fluid to begin with. that is partly built into the Master cylinder and part the Proportioning valve. It's too much for the disc. The couple that have bypassed completly are saying that it seems just about right ballance with no valve.
    I have most of the parts to do the conversion and plan to do it mid october and do a write up. If you want to hold off till then and see what I run into.