Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 wheel drive Broken?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unicknn, Jul 19, 2002.

1. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

How do I check id My 4x4 is working? Today I put it in 4 hi and I looked at my wheels and they didnt look like they were working. Whats the best way to check it?

lmk
    Nick

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Get a buddy to help you. Engage the transfer case and get your buddy to get low and watch your front driveshaft as you drive by slowly. If it's turning then you know your TC is working and barring any massive front diff problem, your 4x4 should work.

If the front driveshaft isn't turning then you probably have to adjust your transfer case linkage.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Did you get to look at both wheels? Most trucks have an open front end, so only one wheel will turn.

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if the driveshaft is spinning make sure your hubs are fully engaging also at the wheels.if one is not engaged the axle at that side will only spin unless you have posi or a locker.

5. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

JUST PUT IN 4WHEEL DRIVE LO OR HI DOESNT MATTER OPEN THE DOOR AND JUST LET IT IDLE AND LOOK UNDER THE TRUCK. IS THE DRIVE SHAFT SPINNING?

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS WORK SUCKS.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If the hubs are locked they will spin the shaft, so that is not the best way to test. Also the the drive shaft may have power but the hub won't engage, so thats not reliable either. Some spippery surface would be a good way to check. Put all 4 tires on it and then hit the gas.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Exactly...find a gravel road, lock in your hubs, put t-case in 4Hi or 4Lo and hit the gas, if your leave a burn-out track on the gravel from your front tires, your 4wd is working.

8. 89chevy

89chevy Registered Member

yeah what muddytaz is saying, only instead of checking the ground for burn marks... check for DINGS in your front quarter panel! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif