Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 Wheel Drive Lag

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xdelirious45x, Apr 18, 2004.

1. xdelirious45x

xdelirious45x Registered Member

When I throw My 88 Chevy Blazer TBI into 4wd. It feels like the front brakes pads are rubbing. I brought my truck to a local service shop for brakes a few weeks ago(Cuz I dont trust myself). Could they have messed up? Could not putting the truck in 4wd when changing the pads, have caused this to happen?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

What I assume you're feeling is just the added drag of the front axle engaging. Without driving your truck, it would be hard to diagnose, but it's probably not brake related. If anything, the shop may have messed up your locking hubs (which would be rather hard to do) when they disassembled your hubs to surface your rotors.
    I suggest having someone else drive your truck so that
    a) if they have driven a similar truck, they can tell you if something seems odd
    b) if it's not someone who has driven a similar truck, you can at least stand next to the truck as it drives by and pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Like I said though, I think you'll find it's only the added noise/feel of the front axle components turning.

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Are you trying to drive with it in 4wd and the hubs locked? If so, quit right now. That is very bad for the truck. The feeling of drag is caused by the excessive binding of the driveline components and since pavement does not give, there is nowhere for the drag to be released.