Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 wheel drive no worky..............

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by BurbinOR, Dec 30, 2003.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

On my '89, you can pull it back into 4 wheel but the front will not engage..........dang I hate these non mechanical front hub setups. Any idea what this could be?

I'm positive it doesn't work............bud had it with us up in the snow the other day and had to pull him out of a drift - back tire was turning (no posi/locker /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) and no movement from the front.

Good thing it had studs on all 4 corners. We were in some serious nasty snowstorm up on Mt. Hood.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The actuator?

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

details ?> year make model, what drivetrain ? what exact type of hubs ?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

IIRC, he has an 89 S10 or S15 Blazer or Jimmy with stock auto hubs.

5. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifMost likly the vacuum swich on top of the transfer case is not working or is not geting vacuum. The easiest way to check this is to hook vacuum up directly to the actuator that is under the battery. if it still doesnt work the acuator is no good ,if it does work the switch on the transfer case is no good or is not getting a good vacuun signal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifMost likly the vacuum swich on top of the transfer case is not working or is not geting vacuum. The easiest way to check this is to hook vacuum up directly to the actuator that is under the battery. if it still doesnt work the acuator is no good ,if it does work the switch on the transfer case is no good or is not getting a good vacuun signal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, yes it is an 89 (thanks Tazz), auto trans, factory everything including no external hubs. I'll check out as per your troubleshooting ideas, appreciate the help.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most likely the vacuum switch. The one on our '91 S-Jimmy started sticking around 100K miles or so. New switch cost about $18 at the GM dealer. I had to drop the linkage to the transmission in order to get my hand and a wrench up to the switch. You can't see it from below, just feel around on top of the t-case for the 3 vacuum lines coming from the switch. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Most likely the vacuum switch. The one on our '91 S-Jimmy started sticking around 100K miles or so. New switch cost about $18 at the GM dealer. I had to drop the linkage to the transmission in order to get my hand and a wrench up to the switch. You can't see it from below, just feel around on top of the t-case for the 3 vacuum lines coming from the switch. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Harry.......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif