Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 wheel drive not working

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1978Blazerk5, Feb 25, 2007.

1. 1978Blazerk5

1978Blazerk5 1/2 ton status

well today i had to drive before the plowed the roads this morning, while before i pulled out of the garage and lock the hub put it in 4 loc pulled out of the garage, and went to go truck didnt move just sat there and spun the rear tires(i have a gov-lock in the rear so that probaly didnt help). the driveshaft was turning (i had a friend watch the drive shaft).finaly got the thing to go i had to use a channel locks to lock the hubs. that really sucked it was really cold, took almost 45min to get it to work. what is the problem could the hubs have dirt and stuff in there.(the truck did sit for almost a year and a half)by the way my tires need replacing(basicaly they have no tread)that probaly dint help the problam

Thanks

2. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I think you already answered your question. If the driveshaft is turning but not tire rotation - hubs not locking in. Open them up and take a look.

3. 1978Blazerk5

thanks i dont have too much experience with truck i just wanted to see if i had the right idea

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my 79 did the samething last week.they came with fulltime hubs.mine goes threw a manual hub every six months or so.the drivers side goes first.my pass side hub was locked but my drivers side wasn't. with the open diff it was like two wheel drive.i need a d 60.:doah:

5. 1978Blazerk5

You and me both i also need a 14bff to go with that