Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 Wheel Drive question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KingDuramax, Dec 10, 2006.

1. KingDuramax

KingDuramax 1/2 ton status

A guy i know has a 82 Chevy 3/4 or 1ton that the 4wd works in reverse but not in forward. Just 2wd going forward. I am not sure what Transfer case it has. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what it could be with this little bit of info I have on the situation

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Are you sure it isn't the other way around and has 4WD going forward but only has 2WD while in reverse? If this is the case and it still has the automatic locking hubs then i'm guessing this would be the reason. Automatic hubs are problems and most people junk them in favor of manual locking hubs. This is just my best guess without knowing more.

3. KingDuramax

That was my guess too. But it has manual hubs and it is not working in forward. He was trying to plow snow and it wouldnt push. He could back drag it only. I told him to make sure that it is working in reverse and that he isn't just thinking that it is.

Could it be a bad hub that will work in reverse but not forward?

I can't run over and look at it. I am 60 miles from him. I hate trying to diagnose over the phone or online.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, i doubt that he has 4WD in reverse then either. Reverse is the lowest gear in an auto tranny and will move easier in reverse than forward. Not sure if he even has an auto tranny.

5. KingDuramax

It is a auto tranny. It does have 4wd in reverse. If it was only 2wd it wouldn't drag the snow plow. Just spin you know.
    In talking to him i found out he had the T-case apart recently. My suspicion is it may have to do with that. Something may not be together right.