Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 wheel lo grinding noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudRebel350, Mar 5, 2001.

1. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

Ok, in all the K5/Jimmys I have owned when I go to put it into 4 wheel lo it will make a grinding noise when the regular trans is in neutral or park. I only got it to work once like that when i was stuck but 4 wheel lo didnt help either. It went in once without grinding but other than that i would turn the truck off and put it into 4 wheel lo and it wouldn't grind. If it helps all the trucks had auto hubs. Does anyone know what causes this and how to avoid it? I would like to know for future references because i will be buying another K5/Jimmy/Suburban or pickup asap.

JD
    Former owner of an 88 Jimmy and 2 87 K5's

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Try shifting while rolling leaving the tranny engaged. As for why, even though the tranny is in neutral, the internals are still spinning- hence the grinding.

[​IMG]

3. MudRebel350

Come on, this must have happened to someone before.

JD

4. MudRebel350

Thats what i thought of why it was making that noise but i wasnt sure. Has this happened to you FWP?

JD

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Exactamundo[​IMG]. There is a good post back aways, when I asked about how the other guys were shifting the t-case. I was of tired of the annoying grind. Do a search- you should find it.

[​IMG]

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Can't dilly-dally when shifting, just grab it and throw it back as fast as you can.

Two lanes wide, twelve yards long, sixty-five tons of American pride....Canyanero!