Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 wheel parts f ups.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by st08x, Jan 4, 2003.

1. st08x

st08x Registered Member

anyone else seem to have a problem with 4 wheel parts? i ordered a dual steering stabilizer and i did get it but it was for a 87 jeep wrangler. and in august when i ordered my lift they didnt send me the blocks for the rear, but what else can i do, i dont know any other places to get this stuff?
    my k-5

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

4WPW is like Wal Mart. You know you hate them, but it is cheaper to buy most average stuff there.
    If you need any kind of assistance, the bet is off and you are better off spending the extra $$ somewhere else.
    And yes, they do like to give you the wrong stuff.

My BIGGEST gripe about them, however, is that unless you are in there with Visa in hand buying a $3000 suspension and tire combo for your 2001 TJ, they don't want to talk to you or look stuff up in the computer.
    When I ask for something for a 73 Chevy, they think "Hmm, I don't think we stock anything expensive for that."
    -- Mike

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You could try ordering out of the mags or there are a few members here that sell that type of stuff.

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

4WPW sucks pole when it comes to mailorder stuff.

I guess Im lucky though,there is a 4WPW here in Fresno.Iv gotten to know and wheel with a couple of the counter guys.They are fairly knowledgeable and dont try to sell me the most expensive choise of parts unless thats what I want.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I concur with my esteemed fellow NCBD member. The Fresno shop has been really good to me, last visit netted some free parts. Really good service and there's usually something good out in the parking lot to look at.

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

All I know is you can haggle them down on most prices. Do a little homework then show them your ck5 membership card. I buy most of my stuff from a local guy at JackIt Acc. in salt Lake. His prices are fair, he has great advice, and he is local. I hate how national chain stores come in with lower prices, put the competition out, then raise prices. There used to be alot of great aquarium shops around here, but PetsMart came, they left and PetsMart sucks but thats a different story. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I've never had any problems with them except maybe them not having what I want. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif But I don't mailorder from them either. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

4wpw operates a little weird, when I go to the grocery store, I see a price on a gallon of milk and I pay that price, when I go into 4wpw I ask for a price and it's always something like well I think we can go lower or if you buy this we can make a deal, real weird, I just want a price, don't want to haggle.
    Let me know if you need something, some things I can compete with 4wpw others I can at leat come close, does anyone notice the offcamber4x4 banners or do I need something more flashy. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Steve, I think the problem is that there aren't very many prices on offcamber4x4.
    For example, I am in the market for tires. Most recently, I am considering 36x12.5x15 TSL Radials. I saw in the offcamber forum people asking for this tire price and that tire price, but who really wants to do that? I want to look up 37x12x15 SSR while I'm at it, maybe look at the 37c13x15 boggers, etc. Not convenient for a casual shopper or someone with money in hand to bother someone each time.
    For a steering stabilizer, maybe he'd like to look up a couple different brands w/ descriptions and prices.
    Just thinking.
    -- Mike

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, I totaly agree, will get things up in Feburary, had to pull my son from daycare untill then so time is tight.

11. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

OMG, I though we had a 4WP lynch mob again. We have been through the 4WP thing several times since I have been on here.

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

just do a search for 4WPW and you will find all kinds of dirt on them

13. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i havnt had any problems with them yet,but i usually buy used stuff off of people from this site or have someone from this site build me things.i have only bought a few thiongs from them but i got what i ordered andd the guys i talked to gave me all the info i needed and also looked up stuff for me when i was just browsing fro prices.i think it all depends on which store you call and which guy you get on the phone.i get my stuff from the atlanta store and havent had problems yet.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my opinion on 4wpw. a) Only buy from them if you can go to a retail location. b) always do lots of research, know your part #s and the competitions prices before you go in. c) never ever have them work on your rig or install anything.

following those rules, Ive never had any (more) problems with 4wpw. They are where i go to get cheap parts, and thats it. In that capacity, they work for me.

AFA being "like Walmart"... thats pretty unfair. Wally World is much cooler...

J

15. st08x

st08x Registered Member

yes, NEVER let them install stuff for you. NEVER. they do a crap job and take a couple days to get simple stuff done. did the suspension on my k5 in a friend of my dads shop, charged me $25 an hour and we did it in 4 hours. 4WP would have taken like 4 days.
    my k-5

16. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

EVERYTHING i have ordered through them has been wrong,

*my suspension had the wrong bushings and no u-bolts,
    *my tires took 6 weeks to get here from denver, they found them 3 weeks after ordering them in LA.
    * it took 5 trips to 4wpw to get 6 shocks over a period of 2 weeks
    *hell even the TTC videos i bought from em were wrong, 2 volume #1s in boxes for 1 and 2.

the only thing i've bought there that was right was my hi-lift and my tow strap. cuz they were bought off the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

17. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

i love 4 wheel parts, everything i bought from them got scrwed up, and after complaining to the manager a few times, i get great deals, i pratically get their cost on most stuff now. the last item i bought i save about 4-500 dollars. when they mess up, they definitly made up for it in my case.

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Watch for this little 4 wheel parts whores trick: if you order Dana brand gears from them you get gears, might even be the ratio you ordered. Order Dana gears from anyone else and you gears, and pinion bearings and related stuff. The trick is that they charge the same amount as everyone else for the R&P set, then sell you the bearings & whatnot that should have been in the gear package for extra. "Oh no, those don't come with the gears, you have to buy those seperately...."

19. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The other day I went in there bacause I needed a piece of 5/8 fuel line for the vent tor whatever the smaller hose is that goes from the tank to the body...no other parts stores had them and i figured they would because they do body lifts, and that stuff ahs to be extended. They said they didn't have any, and i asked them what they do for body lifts..."Oh, they stretch" Hmmm, mine didn't fit after I dropped the gas tank to change the pump and put it back in, even though i had the tank pushed all the way over the the side into the framerail, dont see how they stretch. What a joke of a place.