Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4-Wheel Parts -- JUNK!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Bought some 6' shims from 4-wheel parts last week. They showed up a few days ago and I installed them yesterday.

1st off, the hole in the shim was way too small. I had to drill them out to 9/16. After that, I installed them and when tightening up the U-bolts, This Happened! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Who would make degree shims out of cast aluminum?!? I think some degree shims from A-Tron are in order.....

Thanks for listening to my flame. I think I'll take these pieces-of-junk back down to 4-wheel parts and tell them what I think!

Thomas.

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

How are your spring perches looking? I had a set of 4" lift blocks break in half cause the perches were very well abused and actually started to fold down around the axle tube. the springs or blocks didnt sit flat so when the u bolts were tightened, the first time I hit the gas, they cracked in half. Some new perches might be in order... then you can weld them on in the angle you need and not need any shims at all!

Mike

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

That sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Start Rant Here: /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Have you ever intalled a shim before? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif You are supposed to bolt the shim to the spring pack with the center bolt, not drill out the hole to fit around the center pin. The center pin does not have enough length to engage the perch properly. Did 4Wheel Parts make the shim? Did they install it improperly? Or did you do both yourself?
    I suggest you change your subject to 'Help me-Broken shim' or such. I get tired of hearing people rag on 4WPW, when half the time the person doing the complaining is the source of the problem. I know their customer service leaves a lot to be desired at times, but you get the best deals from them because of the volume of parts they move. If you would have bought the shim from Comp. Specialties, Central 4WD, or where-ever, you still would have broke it because it was improperly installed /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

End Rant Here: /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. Stoopalini

The pearches look decent; no signs of folding down around the tube. I agree that the best solution would be to have the perches ground off and new ones welded on with the correct angle, but I don't know of a shop I trust enough to do it.

I thin the A-Tron 1" block/shim/axle relocate shims will work though. They're made from a solid steel block and not cast aluminum like the cheap 4WPW ones!

Thomas.

6. Stoopalini

No, I've never installed a shim before. I just followed the directions I received from 4WPW. He told me the center pin would penetrate trough the shim into the perch.

4-Wheel parts had the shim shipped to me because they didn't have them in stock. They didn't include any installation directions, so I just followed what the counter guy told me.

From looking at my center pin, I guess I would need longer ones to install the shims as you described. I even asked him if the center pin would penetrate through the shim into the perch, and he assured me it would. He even started quoting specs on the lengths and widths to convince me that they would fit.

I guess I should have know better than to listen to him, and done some research on my own. Then I would have known I need longer center pins and also how to properly install them.

Thomas.

7. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Sometimes the shims have the larger hole in the center that fits over the pin, but then you have to pull the center bolt and put a nut under the head and reinstall the bolt (usually a new one) effectively making the head twice as long. If you are going to use a shim I prefer the smaller hole that bolts to the spring pack. I've seen quite a few split or get spit out. Don't forget to re-tighten your u-bolts often. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

it happens.not to flame counter guys but most of them don't know jack about what they sell.Or really have a clue what your asking them.don't even know what the part is or does let alone how to install it.most of the time i ask for something i have to explain what it is or have the part number.chalk it up to trial and error.sometimes you must break it to find out how to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifsnapped clean in half peice of junk /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I agree, those shims are junk.
    Steel ones rock. If you get the A-Tron ones you can relocate the axle a little further back /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -- Mike

10. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Well I'm running "junk" shims front and rear and have wheeled hard and not upset them at all. They are all bolted in the leaf pack and work just fine. I agree they aren't as good as mild steel ones, but they work fine when properly installed.

Will

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have the 4wparts Junk as you say and they work fine.
    I had new perches on my axles so that is probably what your problem is.
    if you look at the perches you might not see it but put a steel straight edge and see if there is any curve.
    a slight curve will break it even if not detectable by the naked eye since this is as you said cast aluminum.
    People always flame the source, but I say for $13 bucks I don't mind cast aluminum if it works for me.
    Now how much will you be paying for the A tron?
    I use a lot of cheap parts and fabricate a lot, but I also know the limitations of cheap parts and take good care of them.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Perches perches perches!! If the perch is not flat anytype of shim will not last. My latest carnage is rounded pearches. Suks!! Alum or steel if the perches are not flat yer screwed. Sure it may work for a bit of time longer with the steel ones but still not right. Every thing I have read about shims when used they are bolted too the spring pack with the center bolt. I just used a new set of Superlift 3deg shims(free from lifetime warrenty) and they are alum. too. My first set of shims that came with the packs lasted 5yrs of wheelin.
    Now my perches are wasted and my rig is gounded /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif