Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 Wheel Parts-Tire balance & Equal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by iceman, Sep 27, 2001.

1. iceman

iceman 1/2 ton status

Went to check on prices of some new tires today and was given a price including a (bag of equal)? I was told this is a silicone based substance added to the inside of the tire to help it balance during driving. Is anyone using this, and what if any info. do you have on it? Iceman

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've heard of it - never actually seen the stuff though. Must work like the old lead shot in the tire trick.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. iceman

iceman 1/2 ton status

Any other info. out there on this subject? Iceman

4. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Can anyone think of why lead shot would not be okay to put in a tire?

I have about 40lbs of #7.5 birdshot and have wondered about using some of it.

Wonder how much should go in each tire(38x12.50)....

Poundin' the ol "pavment"!

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Should be perfectly safe. Just don't drink any water out of your tires after that.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I don't know about light truck tires, but the guys in the maintenance shop used to put 5 lbs each in the 10.00-20 bias plys on the old International brush trucks, and it made them much better to drive - it was only the suspension jarring your teeth out, not the tires.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

5lbs ?!? Wow! I don't think I need that much, I was thinking about adding 1 or 2 ounces and trying that for a while.

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't see the need for any more than a couple-few ounces. These old tires they put 5 lbs in are beasts - umpteen ply bias mud tires that flat spot if the truck sets for more than 30 seconds.

9. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Yeah. I really think I am going to try it.
    What the heck, I don't even have to take the tire off the rim, the 7 1/2's will pour in through the valve stem.

They are so lightweight and soft that I don't see how they could hurt anything...

10. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i tried it for a few years.
    here is a link (hope it works) as to why you shouldnt use it.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://performanceunlimited.com/documents/balancingpowder.html>http://performanceunlimited.com/documents/balancingpowder.html</a>
    it kinda worked a little. seems if it was in the wrong spot it added to the imbalance until you hit a good bump to break it up, then it would help some until you hit another bump, it would then have to find the imbalance again. the real answer is to find tires that are round to begin with.

11. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

that is a ballsy project
    i wouldnt do it

12. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

I tried that stuff back a few years ago.I thought it was a great idea.We went out wheelin on some pretty waterfilled trails,with lots of rock under the water.On the drive home the truck was vibrating like crazy.The next day I dismounted the tires at work.It seems I got some water in through the bead....thus clumping the powder....and creating the vibration.This is just my experience with it,thought I would share.

chevrules...always has and always will

13. 74Roadster

74Roadster Registered Member

Obviously having perfectly round tires on perfectly round rims would be ideal...how about a glue on weighted patch on the inside of the tire? Is this something practical to minimize wheel weights? As far as I can see almost any larger tire is going to be much more balance 'challenged'.

74 roadster in progress [​IMG]

14. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

What do you think might happen?

Still Poundin' "pavment" after 275 Posts!!!

15. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

They actually make a thing called"balance patches" that look like a glue-in boot to help in balancing. I used to be a tire-buster years ago and you could do the old trick of spinning the tire position on the rim to equalize or offset a heavy spot in a tire and heavy spot on a rim. Have done this many times and made a difference of a couple ounces of balance weight.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

16. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i have what feel like perfectly round, balanced with very little weight 39" tires. i had always believed the BS that it is so hard to manufacture. mine are only 11" wide as i didnt feel i could afford the wider ones.
    i was never able to find someone to do the patches thing for me though it sounds like the ideal way to get the balance correct. doesnt help with the out of round problem.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 77chev on 09/30/01 10:54 PM.</FONT></P>

17. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

ok is it actually lead?
    besides being a health hazard when you dismount the tire or let air out...
    if it is dead soft it may not damage the inside of the tire, but it may.
    the powder didnt work that well, i tried it on a few sets at $125cdn a try so i doubt the shot will but you be the guinea pig and tell me.
    if i were you i would hunt down the inside the carcass patch weight things.
    are you certain it is a balance issue you are having not a roundness issue?

18. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I currently have no weights on the rims. Clip-on weights are not an option for me as I have so much backspacing that they would not clear the calipers.

I know of places that do weight patches but none of them sound like they know what they are doing(welcome to Florida) plus they want an arm and a leg(like $89 US!).

The shot is #7 1/2 birdshot just like what you would reload with. I am not sure what the alloy is, but it is very soft, much softer than hardcast/wheelweight/linotype.

I know the tires are not perfectly round, and I am also starting to think some of the vibration may be coming from the rear u-joint (stupid tapered blocks for a 4" lift and LWB).

I am going to try the shot, if it doesn't work, I can break the bead and remove it.

Also, does anyone know if any shops still use those old grinders that they used to use to fix out-of-round? They probably never made them large enough for 38"s though....

Still Poundin' "pavment" after 283 Posts!!!

19. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

actually they are usually set up for highway semi tractor tires, so your small rims are more likely to cause you grief.
    side note to anyone trying Equal. it will clog and ruin pressure guages. you either have to use the valve stems that have a sintered brass filter or try and be sure to let some air out of the tire or add a shot hoping to blow any residue out prior to affixing the guage. i had to go with the second method as the valve stem hole was in a curvature of the rim, still ruined a few guages

20. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Oh so they do TT tires that way? How does it hold the tire?

Still Poundin' "pavment" after 283 Posts!!!