Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 Wheel Parts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Aug 19, 2000.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I hate 4 wheel parts. They are a bunch of retards. I was looking for some extended brakelines, and I was on the way home from another offroad place, when I realized 4 wheel parts was only a minute out of the way. I guess since I haven't been there in a while, I forgot what retards they were so I stopped there. The idiot trying to sell me something called my k5 a Bronco, then tried to sell me brakelines for a 73-78 K5 when I have an 84. To top it all off he said they would gladly install the brakelines for $150 (Thank goodness for the 'labor guide'). So next time you're thinking about stopping at 4 wheel parts...DON'T...you'll thank yourself later.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Agreed. I've been to both the dallas and oklahoma city stores and never had a good experience. They always seem to look down on me because I ask too many questions about functionality and spend too much of their time asking about things that cost under $5000. Maybe if I drove up in a brand new Z-71, I'd have better luck. As for their mail order department, I'm still fuming about their supposed loss of my order for 9012 shocks back when they were running the 3+1 deal. Of course, they would be more than happy to go ahead and place my order at the regular price. Yeah sure, go ahead...whatever. I'd rather pay more and get good service than ever deal with those people again.

On the up side, I've had really good luck with Desert Rat for general stuff and Randy's R&P for drivetrain parts. Anyone know of any good parts stores in the Dallas area, let us in on the secret. You better not say truck magic either, you'll force me to laugh really hard.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Man, I've heard so many bad things about them. Everytime I have called there has been a really rude, stupid person on the other end. I don't see how they make enough money for their 10 page ads in magazines. I ordered stuff from them once and yes they managed to screw it up. National Tire and Wheel was 10 times better.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Check it out I go to the 1 in okc, and dont have to many prob's, but that wasn't how it started off. When i first started going there I had the same responses and reactions as stated above. I started talking to different people on varies trips up there and began to weed out the "retards" from the cool guys. Now when I go up there someone will ask "can I help you" I simply say "no" is so-n-so here and thats who I talk to. I think they are trained to be a$$holes, but once past that its not so bad. As a matter of fact 1 of my best connections is through a guy that works there. I get what your saying and its ridiculous to try to get a part, get home, pull off your old part, and find the one in your hand is the wrong one. They aren't all retards just most of them.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Topher

Topher Registered Member

I've never been to the Dallas store but I've had pretty good experiences with the 4 Wheel Parts in Fort Worth. However like y'all have said it's really the person you talk wherever you go.

Chris

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have only dealt withthem twice, the first time they were a little rude. Then the second time I must have lcked out and got ahold of a cool guy. The second time I called them on winch prices, they guy said he would sell me the winchh at a jobber price, but it stoill wasn't as cheap as I had found it. But I called back to tell him where I was getting such a good deal and he didn't work there anymore.

OOoopppppsssss!!!! :)

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I've had generally good experiences with the guys here in El Cajon, CA. They've made several recommendations to me on my truck because they know I actaully take my truck out and bang it around some. They told me not to buy Edlebrock shocks, get the Rancho 5000's instead, about a 30 buck loss per shock for them. When I was thinking about a 6" IFS lift (I know, I know, but I've seen the error in my ways) they recommended a different lift than I was looking at. Thing was, they didn't carry it, and it was a direct competitor of theirs who did. So not only would they have lost like $4000 worth of work, but they were sending me to some guys they directly competed with. Even gave me directions and phone #. I've found that, like stated earlier, if you get to know them, you meet the cool guys who know what they are doing, and will then start recommending the good stuff to you. Also, they will always beat anyone else's price. Just go find the part you want, get it's price IN WRITING, and then take it in to them. Make sure they order that exact part, and then VOILA! Works all the time. I saved $100 on my Rancho torsion bars purchased and installed that way (I know, they will eventually become dust collectors in my garage).

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

8. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

The guys here in Reno are the best in town, nice, do fantastic work, and they are inexpensive. Can't say enough good things about them. But I am sure, since they are franchises or whatever, that some can be boneheads in other places. My .02...

[​IMG]

9. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

I can tell you the service isn't any better over the phone either, I ordered parts from them and they sat in a town next to me for two weeks because they didn't have anything else coming this way, called 4 wheel and they said that is how it goes. What every happened to speedy service and delivery? Maybe even a little customer service would be nice also.

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Here are a couple of my experiences with some companies...don't shoot me...these are just my experiences.

Jegs...suck ! They sent me 3 times as many items than what I ordered ...The charge on my credit card should have been 76.00 but wound up being over 200.00 !! It took 3 weeks to straighten it out and the parts I needed most were the last to come. I don't know how their ordering dept. even finctions to screw up that bad. I missed a car show I was going to take my 65 Impala SS to because it was all tore apart waiting for the parts I needed !
    4 wheel parts .... I bought 4 Pro Comp es3000 shocks from them and everything was shipped fast and for a good price! The guy who took my order however should be taken out and shot for the rude attitude he gave over the phone ! He acted like an a$$hole who had better things to do...he didn't listen ! I was trying to tel him my Blazer year and amount of lift and he acted as I was bothering him. I just wanted the right shocks. I deal with people on the phone every day for my job and if I treated my customers like he treated me ...I'd be looking for a new job !
    Summit Racing..... I've dealt with them more times than I can count and have always had great results ! I know they don't carry a ton of hard core 4 wheeling stuff but I have bought headers, intakes, ignition systems, carbs, you name it I've bought it and they always give me excellent customer service and never screw up my order ! It is delivered when and how it was promised. I've never been caught inthe middle of a project without the parts I need because they didn't arrive.

Sorry so long but I just wanted to share my experiences with you guys.

L8r,

.Riz.

11. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Hey AJM, you went to the one in El Cajon? Thats were I went too. It seems to me, that because I'm young they assume I'm stupid. I suppose they're not all retards, but the three times I've been there, I've talked to three retards. I greatly prefer Offroad Warehouse. Thats where my lift was done. They don't use the 'labor guide', they go outside and ask the mechanic. If they're not sure what you're talking about on your truck, they will go outside and climb under it, and if they don't have a part you need, they will call all over to find it for you. At least thats how its been for me.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

12. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

i got pissed at Rough Country when i ordered my lift from them. they said it would take 2 days to send my lift...5 days later nothing came and i called them. they said that the drop arm was not in stock until the next day, and that it would take 3 more days to get to me b/c of the arm. i told them to send it 1st day b/c i had to wait that long already..the guy said it would cost him extra to do so...and i told him i did'nt give a rat's ass what it cost him...he said it would be delivered 3 days ago....anyway, the manager got on the phone and had it sent to me next day...and everything was ok. glad they have good prices...it saved them in my case.......whatever happened to the customer is first?.....Kelboski

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I'd rather they call me up and say, " Riz, your parts are on back order and you'll be seeing them on such and such date." instead of not letting me know there will be a delay.

God, can't people just do their job anymore !!!!!! Today's workforce sucks $#!t !!

L8r,

.Riz.

14. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

seriously....try the Hardees drive through in Mcdonough Ga.....:(

15. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

That's exactly what I'm talking about.....nobody has a strong work ethic anymore ! I've worked since I was 13 years old and always took pride in what I did.

L8r,

.Riz.

16. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately knowledgeable help is getting harder and harder to find, especially ones that can read and write and care more about anything other than Firday and paday.

My experience with 4Wheel Parts was very positive. However, I told them exactly what I wanted and they shipped it. I shopped prices between Ft Worth store and California. I dealt with a guy named Ray Sanchez in California. He saved me a considerable amount of money over what Texas wanted plus I saved the sales tax, and no charge for shipping.

17. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Thanks for passing on the name of one of the good guys !

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

18. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I feel that I should amend my comments from before. Way back when when I owned a *GASP* 82 Toyota, I called for some info on shackles, and the guy who answered the phone gave me wise-a$$ answers, and when I called him on it he just said that some people don't have a sense of humor! I told him that if I wanted comedy I would call a joke line, but right then I was trying to get some prices on shackles so I could fix my truck. By the end of the conversation, I realized that I knew exponentially more about trucks than that bonehead did, so I just hung up, and never called them again.

I went down to Nevada 4-Wheel Drive and they gave me the shackles I needed for free, as they had a wrecked truck behind their shop that they were going to junk. Very cool! These guys eventually became 4-Wheel Parts (irony), but their service is still the same--excellent.

I guess my point is don't even bother to call 4-Wheel Parts, their national service guys are retards. National Tire and Wheel is the best mail-order there is.

That's $.04 for me now, I guess! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I've been there once and I won't be back at the one here in Atlanta. The sales person showed little interest in talking to me and the price was high on what I was looking for and they would not make the price reasonable. The company made all these statements about supporting the local club scene and once they got some people through the door they clammed up and didn't come come through and quit making the offers. Sad thing is I knew a few people there that worked in the back and am fairly whell know that I help with some big events for Southern and got a nose up attitude from them. Another 4x4 shop in the metro area had the same attitude problem and I walked out the door with my money in hand and took my buisness else where. That company finnaly ran themselves out of buisness and good ridence to them!
    Only shop in Atlanta that gets my buisness is 4wd Parts center on Four Wheel Drive owned by Kevin StAmante. Kevin has always backed the local clubs as well as Southern 4wd Associaton and United. He knows they are the people that are with those clubs are his bread and butter. He takes care of them and it is my hope that he can drive 4 wheel parts wholesealers out of Atlanta. They located their shop to try to take his buisness.
    Kevin is consistanly lower on prices and when there is a problem he does everything possible to take care of it. Kevin has gone out of his way to help me with a problem on my truck involving a problem that may well be a problem with my truck and not the products he sold me. He has offered to replace some components to try to resolve the problem. THATS customer service.
    If your in Atlanta just drive past 4 Wheel parts on Buford hwy and go another couple miles up to Four WHeel Drive and stop by 4wd Parts Center and deal with a shop that appreciates your buisness.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

20. Cornfed-90K5

Cornfed-90K5 Registered Member

The guys at the store in Fresno, CA are great. They are always friendly and courteous, and they really know what they are talking about. They are all very active in the local 4WD clubs.

Cornfed-90K5
    1990 K5 Blazer
    1977 Jeep CJ5