Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 wheeling along high tension power lines?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Nov 16, 2002.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i see lots of trails as i drive around, and on the treck to my 2nd school that i goto, how would i go about trying to get permission to drive on these trails, i mean i dont even care if it is muddy and sloppy, i just want to drive off-road on trails, IN A LEGAL FASION, and im just curiuos if anyone has ever done this and who they had to contact, and got it to work, because around here we have alot, and it sure would be alot of fun. thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Good Question. I know that "trail" or service access road should be incorporated as part of the right away for the power lines. I would have to think as long as there are "No Tresspassing" signs posted you would be OK. The thing to find out is if the land surrounding the power lines are private, or BLM/public lands?

The is a service road right by my house the follows the power lines up a hill. Looks pretty nasty, but I don't know. As soon as I get my rear end replaced I plan on giving it a climb and see how bad it is. I do not know if I will have any success since they are cutting a new NG opipe on the the other side of the power lines and the big dozers can get up the hill iwth help from the perminate winch they put in at the top.

3. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Well from my experience, the power lines are owned by the power company and it is trespassing. The powerlines over by me are an excellent wheeling network. My suggestion is dont get caught, BAHA! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

If anyone says anything to you just be curtious and tell them you didn't know. I wouldn't worry too much about a little bit of exploring.

5. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

just tell them you are making sure that their road still works. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Always plead ignorance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Tell them you are looking for you cat "fluffy". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

Basically, the utility company has the easement (probably exclusive). You would need their permission to use it (not likely... liability and all).

You might be able to if it is public lands (as mentioned, BLM, etc), but the utility still has the easement rights.

Probably better find a public gravel road for a semi-soothing commute /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif