Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4-Wheeling for Dummies

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by complexmar, Jul 30, 2003.

1. complexmar

complexmar Registered Member

I was wondering if there's a website, or book out there that a newbie wheeler could read? One that would breakdown and define what all the basic componets are and what those parts do (specificaly Blazer oreinted of course). I could pick things up slowly by osmosis, but I'd rather put 40 bucks in the brain tank and filler up.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

axles, shafts, pinions, OH MY

2. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was wondering if there's a website, or book out there that a newbie wheeler could read? One that would breakdown and define what all the basic componets are and what those parts do (specificaly Blazer oreinted of course). I could pick things up slowly by osmosis, but I'd rather put 40 bucks in the brain tank and filler up.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

axles, shafts, pinions, OH MY

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a Mag subscription, read and post here frequently and join a 4 wheeling club.

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Dude...you're in the right spot now. If you got questions then fire away. This site is a great sorce of info.Ohter 4x4 related sites

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Four Wheeler's Bible" by Jim Allen

223 Pages of great info.... get on Amazon.com and check it out.

I acutally got it as a Christmas present from my Dad. I was dubious that it would have anything worthwile in it, but it turned out to be a great primer on 4-wheeling and covered areas that are important that you'd otherwise have to learn "the hard way". I'd say it's a great place to start....

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

If you want to learn the workings of your rig, a good place to start is a teardown buildup manual from your local parts store. From there you will have the basics, then you can come on here and some of the stuff you read will make sense. Or try hanging out with guys you know who are into four wheeling, they will most likely be working on their trucks all the time.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

United Four Wheel Drive www.ufwda.org has a "Back Country awareness class" it soponsors. http://www.ufwda.org/awareness/ This is cosponsored by Rover. My club teaches these classes in my area. Their are basic guide lines to follow but depending on the club teaching the class the curriculum can be quite different.

Our Club does half day of class room and goes through a manual provided by Rover. That covers the basic do's and dont's. While some of our members are teaching the club then other members set up a static display of their trucks and shows the low points and go over how to properly use a HiLift as well as proper tow points and a winch demo. We then eat lunch and take the students on a local trail and get a few of them stuck and show how to recover the vehicle. We have people rotating riding with students and give them pointers.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The best way to learn is go out and wheel. When it breaks, tear into.... It's all basically just unbolting and bolting back up for the most part.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. complexmar

complexmar Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I've already learned quite a bit by reading these forums. I'm on my way to pick up a stock blazer tonight.

I'm like the bread you eat to sober up. Leeching your precious nectar and leaving you wanting some jelly.
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

I second the "Four Wheeler's Bible". It's a good read and you can cover a ton of information in it that might take a month to pop up on in forums.

10. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "Four Wheeler's Bible" by Jim Allen

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean that goofball from Home Improvement? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ... wait, that's Tim Allen /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif