Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4 WPW wont mount my tires..who here runs this size? on this rim?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Oct 12, 2003.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Ok, I know the difference beetween safe and dangerous, and Im no dummy, hell I busted tires for a few years, but these guys are pi$$in me off /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I need tires, and want OUT of my 16.5's since they are getting rare and rubber is more $$$.
    SOOO, I got a brand new set of 16x6.5 stock steelies from my dads neighbor.....CHA-CHINGGGGGGGG FREEEEEBIE /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and ..
    -they are a tad too narrow for 12.5 wide but..
    - they told me they WILL NOT mount 10.5 wide on 6.5" wide rims either /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif...
    - but THEY WILL mount 15.5 on 8" wide...*SCRATCHES HEAD* /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Now Boys...Im no mathmetical genius, but isnt
    -------
    4.0" overhang

but

-----
    7.5" overhang /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Is anyone here runnin 12.5 or 10.5 wide 33-35's on a 6.5 wide rim without a problem?????? and for how long???

2. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

i got a 12.5 on a 6" for my spare and i see no problems! just a little chubby looking!

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

hmm, i got 39/18x15 on 15x10s. . .

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I have some 285/75s mounted on stock rims on my K30, I havent had any problems. I even ran them on my K10 for about 3 months until I finally ground my calipers to fit 15s.

My friend also put the same size tires (I think, may've been 265s) on his F350 without any problems. I think the stock ford rims are the same width, or close, to the chevys.

Sounds like they're trying to get you to buy a new set of wheels from them to me.

5. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

i personally wouldnt run a 12.5 wide tire on a 6.5 rim,but for them,its a liability issue.they dont want to be sued if a tire failure occurs.even if it wasnt dirrectly related to the mismatch tire-rim,the lawyers will say it was,and make them out to be the bad guy"cause they should have known better"

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting a 12.50 wide tire on a 6.5" wide rim. Just go to a tire shop.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have 38x13x16in tires on my 16x6.75in rims and they are the ones who mounted them well the portland store anyway /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting a 12.50 wide tire on a 6.5" wide rim. Just go to a tire shop.

[/ QUOTE ]
    well,aside from pulling the sidewalls in and wearing the center of the tread unevenly,and the reduced stability of the sidewalls from being squeezed together,i guess theres nothing wrong with it.

9. uglychevyZZ4

I just cannot believe they WONT mount 10.5 wide on a 6.5" rim /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    but they WILL mount a 15.5 wide on a 8" /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    I understand the liability issue, but a 15.5 on a 8" rim IS LIABILITY AND ASSININE /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

yeah.you can bet something crazy happened to some dumba$$ ,and it cost them some money,and made a new policy for the company,

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    well,aside from pulling the sidewalls in and wearing the center of the tread unevenly,and the reduced stability of the sidewalls from being squeezed together,i guess theres nothing wrong with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

35x12.5x16.5';s on stock steel 16.5x6.75" rims. Had them for 5 years, still got them under my friends truck now. Mileage...35,000 miles. Tread is wore even too. I'd say in a tire with a much smaller sidewall some of what 3car says would be true, but with the larger sidewall it just isn't an issue.

Stable? Well I put about 10,000 miles on them towing our 21 foot trailer, another 5000 driving down to TX and towing back another K5 and never once did it feel unstable.

Take it to another tire shop and get them to mount em up.

Rene

12. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

i put a set of wild country 35x12.50's on a set of stock wheels one time,and it was kinda squirly feeling.the taller the tire,the more sidewall flex is an issue.i didnt have them on long,but you could see where the middle of the tread was pushed out.

13. uglychevyZZ4

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Im talking about 10.5 wide, not 12.5 wide. Oh well, I may have found a set of 16x8 on PBB /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rene- I never seen your K5 with the top on, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.giflookm good. did you go to Moab? We're going next year, just couldnt leave the new baby /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah we put the top back on the last day and squeezed another day of wheeling in before we left.

mostly it looked like this while we were in Moab:

[​IMG]

If you've never been it is an amazing place. I already can't wait for next year! This could be an expensive year for me... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rene

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I had 36x16.50x15 tires mounted on 15x10 rims with no issues. A local place mounted them, but go to America's Tire or Les Schwab they'll do it for ya.

16. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Yeah, have to agree, try Les Shwaub Tires. 4WPW seems to be turning into the Schucks of 4 wheel drive, IMO.

17. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

i had my 37x12.5/16.5's mounted on those exact same rims for like 8 months and it was fine. heres a tip if you have the skills mount them yourself. i always do, its easy. i use a crow bar its really really easy. go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. uglychevyZZ4

[ QUOTE ]
    i had my 37x12.5/16.5's mounted on those exact same rims for like 8 months and it was fine. heres a tip if you have the skills mount them yourself. i always do, its easy. i use a crow bar its really really easy. go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]ya , i just enjot that balance thing, and a warranty, its not on the K5, its on the burb family roller /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Balanced tires are highly overrated. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Mount em yourself with some pry bars. Toss a ratchet strap around the middle and snug it up until the thing will take some air. Its not really that hard guys. I havent payed for a tire to be mounted since the first time i did it myself.