Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

40 gallon gas tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by J.R., Jan 8, 2002.

1. J.R.

J.R. Guest

has anyone put in a after market 40 gallon gas tank? i have a 89 k5 and im looking to do this , want to know if its worth it and where to get one,and what it cost you. thanks

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

2. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

you should be able to find a 40 gallon gas tank out of a suburban, years 78-79. i've got one in mine suburban and am thiking of throwing it onto my blazer so i can go a little farther in the bush. looks like it will bolt in directly too. hope that helps.

73 Blazer 1Ton 6inch lift, 3 inch body, 36 inch swampers
    79 3/4 ton suburban, soon to be 6 inch lift, 3 inch body, and 44 in boggers. Oh ya

3. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Don't believe the Suburban fuel tank will fit a K5. Appears the distane from the rear axle to rear bumper is dramaticly different. If so, area for fuel tank is also different.

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I put a 45 gallon tank in a '72 Blazer many years ago. First time I filled it up I thought I was gonna have to get a loan... But I sure could drive for a long time between fillups! [​IMG] You lose a little bit of ground clearance, although the rear of this one was angled up in the back to help with the departure angle.

I don't think that I'd replace a perfectly good 32 gallon stock tank. The aftermarket ones cost big bucks. I replaced the one in my '72 because it had suffered an unfortunate incident with a large boulder in the Wasatch mountains. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I found <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoitem.jhtml?CATID=33732&amp;BQ=jcw2>this one</a>, but it is rather pricey, and I doubt it would be difficult to find a better deal.

There's no situation in life so tragic that I can't look back on it and laugh, "Ha ha! Glad that didn't happen to ME!

6. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I have a 40g tank(out of an 'Burb),they are 35" long by 28" wide and 13" deep.The K/5's 31g tanks are 29"x28"x12 3/4".So the 40g is about 6" too long.I was thinking the same thing,but still have;nt found a way to mount it.BTW 31g 'Burb tanks will fit K/5's...all the same dimensions.

7. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I know of an aftermarket tank made by Aerotanks or aerotech or something like that. They are aluminum and high quality and pretty cheap (they are always running specials). They advertise in 4wheeler magazine and I thnk Petersens.

chrome sucks

8. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

J.C. Whitney also has an aftermarket 40g tank,that looks pretty stout.the bad news is I believe it is about 4 bills!!!.I think I will stick w/ my 31g and a couple 5g gas cans!

9. J.R.

J.R. Guest

thanks for all the info, i see the one JC whitney has is pretty spendy but looks killer.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

10. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Well you guys got me thinking again(no wonder my head hurts!).So I crawled under the K/5,which has the fuel tank removed while I'm finishing the shackle flip,and did some measuring.Now the 40g tanks are 6" longer.A person could move the stock frame tank bracket forwards about 4" and move the rear bracket back 2".The big problem seems to be that the rear mount is already at the very end of the frame rails.So you would have to extend the rails by 2".This idea might just work,the front of the tank would be close to the diff.But I just might try and see if I can make it work.Now did GM ever offer a skid plate for the 40g tank?I have the 31g plate..maybe cut and weld an 6" piece to it?Damn this stuff never ends!!!!

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't extend the frame outwards towards the back for a bigger gas tank. 8 gallons of the extra fuel isn't worth the safety issue of having the bumper that close to the fuel tank.

Then again, the truck saddle tanks are even worse. Thank god I keep my gas caps loose.

In fact, if I didn't, I might not be here today. In fact I might have missed Christmas a few weeks ago. I got broadsided and she hit the tank--but it didn't burst because the cap was loose. It just poured some gas out of the filler hose. The tank was full, too.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i tried this and it would not work with out fab. had all kinds or problems with clearence around brackets and the hitch. itll look like it will fit until you actually get the sucker up there.
    gas filler hose is different also. i agree with the fact i do not think to much can be done safely to fit it up there.

darrenolander
    galva,il.
    1979chevycheyenneblazer
    350/350
    gettin'down on all fours, 4 a'little
    x4 play !