Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

40" of Travel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Donovan, Dec 29, 2000.

1. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

40\" of Travel

How does 40" of vertical travel sound? Is that any good? I put some new front springs in my Blazer and then I took forklift and lifted the front Left tire up until it lifted the left rear tire off the ground. I measured under the tire and it was 40". I didn't have the front shocks on yet but they are ordered. I should have picture next week I hope.

Donovan

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Re: 40\" of Travel

I'm sorry to tell you this but you dont really have 40" of travel. You are just measuring articulation. Travel is in a vertical motion not a twisting motion. For an example CORR trucks only have 20 in the rear and 18 in the front. If you bolted 15 foot long axles to your truck and articulated it you will get insane ramp numbers but your travel stays the same.

3. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Well how about 12" of front travel and 26" of articulation just in the front. Does that soot you better.

Donovan

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I just got on ACAD real quick and made a mock up ramp...it looks like on a 30 degree ramp you'd be approx 77" up the sucker. Now if I could only remember the rti index formula, you'd know your RTI. Anyone????

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

5. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

whats the setup?

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

6. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I thought nobody would ever ask. The front springs are made from two different vehicles. The Top two leafs are from a 84 Cherokee rear leaf springs and a Rubicon Express add a leaf. So that makes up 3 leafs. Then I took 77 Wagoneer front springs and used the bottom 4 leafs for them. So I have 7 leafs in the Front with a spring rate aroung 250-260# per ". Also the top leaf is 51.5" long and from the center pin to the front is 23" and the stock blazer spring is 23.5". My shackle lays back at a 45 degree angle. So it moves awesome. The comb gave me a 4" of lift. My buddy brought has blazer over with a Tuff County 2.5 lift and sway bar disconnects and we could only get 25" of lift before it lifted a tire. I hope to have pictures by the end of next week. BTW I have not done anything to the rear yet. The stock shocks and everything is still on when I did the test. If anybody in Denver wants a look let me know.

Donovan

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thats an RTI of 723 on a 30 degree ramp.
    I just did the forklift thing with my 4" Rancho lifted Jimmy and after a little tweaking I had 31" under the tire. I still had some more shock travel left in the front so I think softer front springs would be the hot ticket for my truck.
    Thanks Donovan, now I have the perfect recipe for a soft 4" lift in the front.

Rene

[​IMG]

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I did the john deer tractor thing with my front end about two weeks ago and only got around 27". Needless to say I wasn't too impressed. I have TC 4" front springs and stock rear with a shackle flip. Thanks for sharing what you did. Perhaps I can start experimenting sometime after i get to running. haha

Rene, what's that formula for rti calculation? I want to figure out what my new R/C truck does. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

9. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't mind checking it out. Where in Denver are you?? I'm in Lakewood.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: 40" of Travel

Bryan, the math for RTI is simple, divide the distance traveled up the ramp by the wheelbase of the vehicle times 1000.
    77" / 106.5" x 1000 = 723

I relocated my rear shocks, and gained about 3 1/2" of forklift height[​IMG] then I opened up the spring clamps on my stiff old Rancho front springs and gained another 1/2". That really surprised me, I didn't think it would make any difference.

Rene

[​IMG]

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Wow, my new Dodge R/c ramps 580 on an approx 30 degree ramp. I'm impressed! And that's with IFS too! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok