Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

40 series Flowmaster in cab sound?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Oct 14, 2000.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Hey guys
    I am about to get a Flowmaster for my truck. Just finally fed up with this little weener sound the Gibson makes. It actually sounds better inside than outside. I want to get a Flowmaster, so I can make heads turn. I've already got 3" pipe and a 3"in/out high flow cat. I am just wondering how much in cab noise a 40 series makes. I really like the sound of the 40 series, but I want to be able to hear my passengers and my music withouth having to shout or crank it up WAY loud. If it is to loud I will just go with a 50 series, but I would prefer a 40 series. Oh yeah, and since Flowmasters flow better than Gibsons, I know I'll be picking up a little power anyways.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's [​IMG]

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I've got one and I love it! You can hear people pretty well and it sounds good inside and out.

90K5

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

All I will say is.......SWEET!

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds great for short trip but I'm tired of having to scream to hold a conversation with the wife (hehe it her truck). Really droans on the long haul. About drove me nuts on a 600 mile trip. Now I don't have cats (you didn't read that ) and will be putting them back on soon and hope it tones it down some.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I have a pair of 40 series and a 2.5" "true dual" system. I don't know why others say they have so much in-cab resonance. I don't have cats, no special floor insulation or anything, and I can still whisper and be heard in my cab. I never have to scream to be heard, not even at WOT. Maybe the H-pipe has to do with this.

I say go and get them. You'll be very happy.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've got the 50 series Flow masters, and a conversation on the freeway is a joke. But then again I have huge rot holes in my rear floor, so every little noise the truck makes invades the interior. The howl from the tires is almost as bad as the exhuast note (for volume). I'm hoping that when the new tub goes on I'll be able to hear my wife again. (I did'nt think I'd ever say that![​IMG])

Rene

[​IMG]

7. 88K5Rhododendron

88K5Rhododendron Registered Member

Flowmasters sound very very nice both in and especially out... very low rumble to head turning loud if ur gunnin it... But you might want to consider going to headers and duals if you want the nicest sound possible... With a single exhaust you'll get the best sound out of like a 24 inch glasspack... I did that... stock cat... and there isn't a pedestrians head I can't turn when I'm gunning it... but normal driving it isn't too abnoxious... and at highway speeds or idling at a stop light you have no problem hearing passengers or stereos... But if I was gonna do it all over again I would invest some money in headers and dual flow 40's... that sounds very nice... good luck amigo!

Matt

gasoline4life! Or rocket fuel... I could see my blazer with some rockets on it... :)

8. AJMBLAZER

Well, until the fall of 2001 when I get out of the Marines I'm stuck in SoCal[​IMG], not that it's entirely a bad thing[​IMG]. The smog police won't let shops do any dual work on trucks here, unless they came from the factory with dual cats, even though my truck is registered in Michigan AND I want to run dual cats. So after I get out I will have duals installed, and believe me, it will be dual Flowmasters. Right now I am just sick of this POS Gibson[​IMG], and want a real muffler. I dislike Glasspacks because of their sound and lack of durability[​IMG]. Thanks so far everyone!

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's [​IMG]

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hey, why don't you just make a weekend run to Yuma and have a shop there do an exhaust system for you? I'm sure someone on this site knows of a good shop in Yuma, and you could always go to the new E-club (it ROCKS!) on the air station and grab a few... I knew quite a few guys who did this sort of thing with out-of-state vehicles when I was in Tustin.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

10. AJMBLAZER

I've thought of doing that. Got some buddies down there that I haven't seen since school in Pensacola. Just have to find a shop down there that does good work, so I don't waste a trip.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]