Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

40 spline worth it ???

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by redneckryder18, Nov 8, 2005.

1. redneckryder18

redneckryder18 Newbie

I am getting ready to but a set of superior axles and ctm u joints for my rig and was wondering if it would be worth it to step up to 40 spline inners? My rig has a 79 ford high pinion Dana 60 under it. I already bought new bearings and brakes for the front end so i want to stick with 35 spline outters for now but i am going to buy a new ARB. I want to know if it would be wise to buy the 40 spline ARB ( extra 400$) and forty spline inners that way if i do start breaking stub axles i will just have to buy the forty spline outters, hubs, spindles etc but not a new lockers or inners? is there any extra work if i buy 40 spline inners and 35 outters? do i have to change anything besides the locker for the new inners? Will this make the outters weaker than normal?My rig is a single seater with a real healthy big block chevy, 250 shot of NOS, Turbo 400, ORD doubler and 49" Iroks. I also really like the skinny pedal. :D

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i havent heard of 1 person to brake superior 35 spline d60 outers or inners w/ ctm joints. i wouldnt bother. besides its lifetime warranty. save your money and put it into something else.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

btw, they make 40 spline outers? or are you thinking 30 stock /35 upgrade?

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I had the chance to do whatever I wanted with this last axle build on wally and went with 35 spline superiors. You have to change a LOT of parts to go to 40 spline and I think the ears on the axle are still going to be the problem, even in the 4340 material. I think you'd have the same ear problems with the 40's as you would with 35's.
    I've done things with the chromo fronts that I probably wouldn't get away with on spicers and I can guarantee that if I hadn't broken spicer stubs by now the joints would be rattling in the ears and the superiors are just fine.