Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

400/205 6-bolt-round doubler? Thats right...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KRAZIE87K5, Feb 23, 2004.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've been talking with John at Stazworks about creating a doubler for the 6-bolt round 400/205. I'll soon be sending him my 205 so that he can take all the measurements he needs. On the newer (6-bolt) 205s the input shafts are longer than the older figure 8 stuff, this I know. My question for today is, would it be easier to leave the input alone (versus taking it out and cutting it down), and make the adapter longer... or should I cut it down? I've got plenty of room down there for the extra length I'm sure. Are there any other disadvantages to leaving the 205 input alone, or am I just looking at more overall length? I'm trying to help John out by designing this thing so its as easy as possible to do the install. However, I'm already committed to drilling and tapping the 400 version 203 I have - so its already more work than I would have liked, but its close! Besides, you can't beat $450 for a doubler complete with new output shaft! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

I'd sure love to search on this, however seems like searching anymore is pretty useless.

If anyone would like to contribute before this thing is built, please post up! I'll be getting the unassembled kit shipped to me, clocking the 203 205 as needed and then welding the adapter together myself. I'll have to figure out a linkage too at some point, and would really like to twin stick the 205 as well. Thanks for any suggestions! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

-Dan

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Re: 400/205 6-bolt round doubler? Thats right...

im using the same case, but im going to have WMS make the doubler for me.
    you can not cut down the input as it is not splined all the way down. you can use an ORD setup and put the short input in it.
    with moving my axles the way i did, and the 465 and double if i use the long input and have a custom doubler made i can use almost equal length drive shafts.

you only options are this
    use long input with the custom setup from stazworks(or WMS but ORD will not build a doubler for the long input for several reasons. one being they dont feel it is strong enough and two the chunk of aluminum would have to be huge to make it), or use short input with ord adaptor.

grant

3. KRAZIE87K5

Stazworks doesn't use aluminum, they use steel. Heavier, but stronger. The long 205 input is weak for what reason? It works fine for abusive purposes without the doubler, why would it have problems with one? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-Dan

4. Seventy4Blazer

im just going on what i was told.
    i belive the same as you, it held up in a truck, has the same wame weight rating.... yes, its longer and since the splines dont go all the way down thinner for a greater length. but i think it will be fine. as for the aluminum being weaker, no it is the same if not stronger. where they eliminate a few Lbs in weight and remove any welds along with adding thickness in material. its a win win situation, but it ust isnt cutomizeable as much as steel.
    Grant

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Welds don't make metal things weak. A properly welded item is stronger at that point than the surrounding metal.

6. KRAZIE87K5

I hear what you are saying, however I think with as many units in production as Stazworks has without a single failure (primarily POR folks too), I'm not too concerned - I'm sure it will be just fine (from the adapters perspective).

So I guess I should just keep the long 205 input?

-Dan

7. Seventy4Blazer

i never said welds make it weaker.
    but its a LOT less work with just hitting a button and walking away than it is jiggn everything up and welding then checking for heat warpage then finish welding then checking it again.
    Grant

8. Seventy4Blazer

i would keep it. im sure your rear drive shaft has a couple of inches it can spare. and im sure your front could use a couple inches as well.
    and i dont doubt that stazworks makes bad stuff.
    please lemme know how much he charges ya.
    grant

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i never said welds make it weaker.
    but its a LOT less work with just hitting a button and walking away than it is jiggn everything up and welding then checking for heat warpage then finish welding then checking it again.
    Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok understood now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Just wanted to see where you were going with that.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

do they not recommend getting it planed flat again after welding?

11. KRAZIE87K5

Grant-

The price is $450+shipping from western Wisconsin.

MJ-

I haven't crossed that point yet, but I'd imagine that it would be a good idea to do so.

-Dan