Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

400 buildup?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhog, Jun 25, 2002.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

I need your help I just got a sbc400 to start rebuilding. I got a set of 194 heads for it and am going to bore it .30 to make it a 406. I want this to put out as much torque and horsepower as I can get but keep it practical. I need suggestions on what cam pistons lifters rocker arms stuff like that to use. I am also thinking of running tpi or tbi can I use either of them with the 194 heads? also i need to know where and how to drill the heads for the 400 cooling hole

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Use a set of head gaskets for the steam hole template. I's recommend hyperutectic pistons. KB has some for 5.7"rods that will give you in the 9.5:1 comp ratio. Either injection will work w/the heads, you just might have to modify the center holes on the intake. Depending on Cam, you might have to get a custom chip burnt. Roller rockers would be a good choice to reduce friction and Increase HP. There are some good inexpensive sets available.

3. mudhog

very cool and yes i will get a custome burned chip for the tpi so i can use any cam /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I am starting to acquire parts to build a 6" rod 400. Got a set of pistons @ a local stock car part auction for $10.00 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Brand new JE's. Just so happend to have the right comp. height. Have a new crank and found a std bore block. Now I just need the rods and decide on which heads I am going with. Leaning tward Vortec's. Will have to see what the pocketbook will allow. Keep me posted to the progress of yours.

5. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

hey mudhog you should contact brains 60's about building a 406 motor.He has one that will amaze you with the power and torque that motor produced.
    Colin

6. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

im buildin one right now, im gonna go w/ hypereutectic pistons, and 64cc heads 2.01/1.60 valves, the compression ratio should be about 10-11:1 i know thats high, but this isnt a daily driver, finally im gonna go w/ comp cams 4x4 cam w/ .480/.498 lift, and im gonna most likely go w/ the edelbrock multipoint injection. that should make some decent power

phill

7. mudhog

Mine is a daily driver so I cant go that high on the compression I need to be able to run regular unleaded lol

8. mudhog

cool ill pm Brian about it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Im going to be doing a 400 buildup soon, i plan on running, the KB pistons for a 5.7" rod, with a 22cc dish, that with the 67cc heads i plan on using, a .041 gasket, about .030 deck height, and the overboar, should put compression right about 8.95 : 1 they also have an 18 cc and a 30cc as well as a flat top, so you should be able to find a piston to work with your heads and give you the comp ratio you want, i too want to run cheep gas thats why im sticking to a 9:1 ratio. Check out their calculators on their site. Keith Black /forums/images/icons/smile.gif