Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$400 Parts Truck Worth It?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Apr 11, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a chance at a '79 Chevy 3/4 ton truck for $400. It's rusty but runs and drives great. Since I have no use for a third truck, I'd turn it into a parts truck and just strip it as my junk broke. I have no clue what the drivetrain is yet besides the axles. 14bff rear, D44 front, 4.10 gears. From looking at spec sheets it looks like the parts would go like this:

Tranny: TH350 or TH400

Engine: 350 or 454 (I know it's a gasser)

T-Case: 203 or 205 (I don't know if they put 205's in 3/4 tons)

The parts in it pretty much depend on if the engine turns out to be a small block or big block. I never popped the hood when I had a chance because it wasn't for sale when I drove it. Do you all think it's worth it? If it has the 454/400/205 combo (if that ever even came in a 3/4 ton) I'll definitely buy it, but I'd like to minimize cost by selling parts I don't need. Anyways, what do trucks like this go for in your area and is it worth the initial cost?

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a pretty good deal.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes a complete 4x4 parts rig is worth 400 easily

no doubts about it, evne if entire body is scrap junk rotted,

just stop and think about it

think what just one axle in a yard would cost oyu, or the case, etc, hell the engine alone,

close to 400 just for one of them.,, so.,.

but try to jew them down with cash in the face anwyays

good luck

4. mikey_d05

I've been looking around and it doesn't seem that a '79 3/4 ton ever came with a big block, but it could possibly have a 400 small block, anybody know a good way to tell a 350 and a 400 apart? Or am I full of it and you could get a BBC in a K20?

The body is actually not the original body, it's from a 1/2 ton pickup and was swapped on when the original one rotted out, so I can't tell anything from the codes or the VIN. I know how to ID t-cases, trannys and axles, and a BBC vs. an SBC, but I don't know how to tell a 350 from a 400.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes they did have 454

very common

a 400 would have solid backside balancer instead of open backside like the other sbc's

thats about the only way to tell with engine in truck and exh manifolds in the way

otherwise you could look at sides of block for cylinder water jacket bulges that only the 400's have

get casting numbers off back ledge of block, or the stamping code off front pad under alternator, on deck of block right in front of cylinder head

post here or search on google or go to nastyz28.com sbc decode/ suffix code section

6. mikey_d05

Thanks, that helps quite a bit. Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at it this weekend. Screwing them on the price probably won't happen though, the guy who owns it thinks the rims (rusty AR Outlaw 2's) are worth a fortune and that's why I can't get it any cheaper.