Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

400 SB TBI??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Mar 8, 2004.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine is rebuilding his 400 SB for his truck. He will be using a minimum over bore, mild cam and some Dart heads with Thorley headers. He wants to use a TBI setup from a 1991 350. He has the entire wire harness, intake, dist, serpentine belt system, and apparently everthing to get it going. Now I know that theres been a few discussions on using this set up, but I would like to know if there is anyone who can burn a custom computer chip/PROM for this application. Anyone? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We are running a 400 SBC on a stock 350TBI setup. It runs very well and has lots of power and economy. I would recommend installing and evaluating the result of a stock TBI before doing a custom chip. If a custom chip was necessary I would poke around in here:
    http://www.diy-efi.org/diy_efi.html

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

one thing i would do if it were mine... ditch the TBI intake, and go with a regular spreadbore intake manifold (Edelbrock Performer, etc.) and run an adapter for the TBI. the stock TBI intakes are incrediby restrictive, and i'm sure you'd notice a huge gain by going with an aftermarket design. i'm doing something real similar with my '96 Vortec 5.7. i'm installing an Edelbrock Performer Vortec, a 454 TBI adapter plate, and a TBI setup from an '87 truck.

4. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

That sounds like a good set-up your friend has. You can try www.jetchip.com as they burn custom chips. They aren't the cheapest, but in my experience they back their product pretty well. Your friend may want to think about using a 454 TBI in order to get more airflow through that engine. That will be the biggest restriction. Also, try calling the guys at www.turbocity.com and www.cfm-tech.com as they both have alot of information on TBI systems.

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help, I'll pass it on and see how it works.

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Any new information along these lines????

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Sounds like he wants some good perfomance out of this motor why why isent he going with TPI?

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

TPI wasn't designed for anything bigger than a 305, so a 400 is going to be working it pretty hard without tons of mods.

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

then why was it on pre LT1 camaro's? btw they hade 350's

10. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

HERE This should help it was full of usefull ifo and iwas a post about 3 months ago. Good stuff IIRC /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

We are still a little bit from getting the 400 SB together with the TBI setup. We have concentrated on building his chasis - 1965 sub body on a shortened (16 in) 1976 long bed chevy 4x4 frame. This is almost complete, but he and his wife just had a baby and I'm sure that will slow things down. For now the plan is to use a 1991 350 TBI setup on the stock 400SB. The theory is to get this running before we move the TBI over to the rebuilt 400. BTW we fabbed in a fuel tank from a 1991 sub, complete with all fuel injected fuel lines and fuel pump (cost a whole $50).. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif As soon as I get off my lazy butt I'll snap some pics to post.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

http://www.fastchip.com Does good custom chips.

You might also be able to get away with using injectors and a PROM from a 350 Cop Caprice. They are set up to run a 160 degree T stat and should flow plenty of fuel.