Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

400 SB

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tulkas, May 10, 2000.

1. Tulkas

Tulkas Registered Member

My 77 came with this motor which lists a whopping 175hp(and there was much rejocing, yeeeah)
    I planning to start THE GREAT REFIT either this summer or sometime after.
    If you guys had this motor and were going to rebuild it, what would you suggest? I was thinking maybe higher compression would help more than anything. Any way I appreciate any insight.

2. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

think torque low rpm power (idle to 3500) ........also build it for exsacly what you need .....dont go over board (be honest with what you need) last thing you want to do is end up with a motor that cant idle and has to be tacked to 3500 before you get the power you want .........the heighest compretion i would go with is 9/1-9.5/1 with iron heads on pump gas and 10/1-10.5/1 with alluminum heads (they disapate heat better )

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

3. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

A few parts that´ll work well is Comp Cams SB270, Edelbrock performer intake, a good carb such as Edelbrock 600 or why not a standard Q-jet? If properly tuned they work well. Another great thing is roller lifters,roller rockers, double roller timing chain. Roller stuff are very expensive though. At least spend some dough on a double roller timing chain, will ya?[​IMG]
    To up the compression ratio a notch you can go 2 ways = pistons or heads. If you get heads with smaller combustion chambers not originally built for 400´s, you´ll need to drill stemholes into them. A comp ratio of 9.5-10:1 will be enough. Top everything off with a good airfilter and headers. The more air that goes through your engine, the better! The 400 is a great machine[​IMG]

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

4. Tulkas

Tulkas Registered Member

Thanks to all! ! ! NT

5. James Rusty 79

James Rusty 79 Registered Member

Re: Thanks to all! ! ! NT

I would also replace the rod bolts with a new set because they are the weak link in the 400 sb. With a set of flat tops and a roller cam your 400 sb would run pretty good and have alot of torque.

James Rusty 79