Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

400 SBC heat problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Disciples Performance, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Disciples Performance

Disciples Performance 1/2 ton status

hey guys

now i know the 400 sbc has a problem with overheating quite easily. Now im gonna throw a new high flow water pump into it, right away here and a thermostat. Now should that take the problem away for the most part? cause i cant see how other then those 2 ways it would overheat:confused: any other ideas?

thanks

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Is your motor built?
    I've got a 400 in my stock 1970 impala. Never had a heating problem. Needle sticks right at 190, even sitting in traffic on woodward for 3 hours during dream cruise. Only time I've heard of heating problems is when people bore 'em out more put power-adders on.
    That said, I can't see a high-flow water pump hurting. Do you have a heating problem currently, or just trying to prevent one?

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Did you just build the motor? Are the heads drilled for steam holes? If not, that's your problem right there, or maybe you used a non 400 head gasket.

What condition is the radiator in?

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Do you have a stock clutch fan or an electric. If you're concerned, get an aluminum radiator with dual electric fans:D