Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

400 small block question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TorkDSR, Sep 17, 2001.

1. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

I have a 400 small block and a th350. there is no transmission cooler lines to the radiator, nor is there a spot for them. i thought hmmm maybe it's a manual trans radiator, so i went to work (national auto) and was fidgeting on the comp for a while and it seems as though there were no trans coolers built into the radiator for a 400 sm block. is this true? not does it make sense, but is it TRUE??

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Not true, my factory 79 400sb radiator has the cooling lines.

Might be a manual radiator, as you suspect. If so, just put an aftermarket cooler on it.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

My 78 400ci th350 has the trans cooler lines as well, perhaps you setup was swapped in by a previous owner?

What, Me Worry?

4. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I think you're better off putting an aftermarket cooler on there anyway.. I have a 77 400/th350 and it has a cooler mounted on the front of the radiator.. I dont recall if it has the cooler lines built into the radiator or not but if I have to replace it i'll be sure to get one for a manual trans since I do have the cooler already..

mike

5. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

my 78 400ci has the cooler in front of the radiator for trans. (automatic)

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

6. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

You want a radiator with the cooler setup if you have an auto. Also run a aftermarket cooler after the one in the radiator for best results. If you ever have a tranny fail flush the lines and rad and any other cooler.

78-K5 4"Lift 35"Tires 400SB TH350 NP205
    73 Vega 350SB TH350

7. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Run the aux tranny cooler to run before it goes to the radiator, unless it has a built in thermostat. If the return is too cool then it can do just as much harm to the internals as running too hot. Optimum temp for tranny fluid is 180F........ If you put it after the radiator cooler than it may run considerably less.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'm no expert, but I have heard from numerous tranny guys that at least the OD's can never run too cool. Not sure on the 350's though... what kind of damage ? Got some details On this? I'm curious.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

9. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Wrong....my 76 has the original 400 SB and has lines going to the radiator. GM did offer a add-on cooler...missed the winning bid on ebay...Grrrr. It looks just like the optional oil cooler for that year...in fact if you look at the top of your core supports leading edge you will see 2 indentions on both sides where the holes are to be drilled to mount the coolers...just my 2 cents and odd GM memorabilia.

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

10. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

He does already have the auxiliary cooler, we were just wondering, because at work when we look up a radiator for a 79 w/ 400 it doesnt ask if it has an auto trans. every other year/motor it asks this. we think it may just be a computer glitch.

also, we do know that his 400 was swapped in, in the truck vin it calls for a 350.

--matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350 crate, 33's.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Roader</font color=red>

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Have him call Radiator.com - that's where I got mine with the correct part number. Direct bolt-in for my factory 400 motor truck.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Maybe it didn't ask because the 400 wasn't ever offered with a manual tranny?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

13. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

Most likely they only have one listing because you can plug off the trans cooler holes if your running a manuel. They will usually do this if they are identical except for cooler option.

78-K5 4"Lift 35"Tires 400SB TH350 NP205
    73 Vega 350SB TH350