Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

400 tranny problem weird 1 did a search first

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by doctor4x4, May 8, 2003.

1. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

i just put in a 400 tranny and 208 t case it will go in reverse but no forward gears ?? any idea's ???
    1. i bought it used said it was good but mabe he lied
    2. it has plenty of fluid and vacum and of course
    i serviced-(changed fluid and filter) the tranny before i started it and the pan was dirty liked it had been stored out side but no metal shavings
    i dont have the kick down wire hooked up yet
    and havnt checked the govener or vac mod
    would any of those do it ??
    well thanks for any help ya might give
    Randy /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

TH400 will work fine without both the modulator or the kickdown, although apparently with no modulator, you can potentially do some damage.

Sounds like a bad tranny to me, not gonna be the converter or the pump if it will go into reverse.

You can always try shifting through all the gears many, many times, sometimes this will "unstick" a valve that may not be moving freely at the moment. Had that happen in my car a couple of times, it wouldn't shift past 2nd. Just shifted from 2nd to 3rd over and over again (I was moving), it finally cleared up and never came back. You'd probably need to increase the engine RPM's while doing this with the vehicle not moving, to get line pressure up.

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Reverse/Low Clutchpack is fried, sorry. It's the second piece that go's in the case, meaning it's almost the last one out. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

4. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

well thanks for the help
    if the reverse /low pack are together then why will it still go in reverse ok ?????