Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

400 with TPI - Di I need to change the computer and injectors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Sep 4, 2003.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

We put a TPI on a 400 block. It runs decent now, do you think we need to change the computer and the injectors. Anyone with good advise will be much appreciated.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am sure he will reply in do time but do a search for burbnOR or burbanOR.. HE had/has a 406 with a TPI and did a write up on his website about doing new injectors and I think a new chip!!!

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

For sure have to change the injectors (you may have 305 ones!) and a PROM "calibration" would certainly wake the motor up.

Please tell me you didn't go Painful for the harness.

4. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

whois the best to get the wiring from? I am looking to do this mod.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

GM is probably the best, although if Howell (or anyone for that matter) duplicates the GM harness exactly (using all the same sensors, etc) then that would fine as well. But I think you'll find GM harnesses are a fair deal cheaper than "new aftermarket". You really don't want to piece together a setup, and a COMPLETE TPI setup can be had for $500 or less. Nothing wrong with new wiring and connectors, as long as it's correct.

Good thing about having GM parts is availability in case you need to replace something, and the wiring diagrams/service manuals which you can use to help diagnose problems.

6. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I have bilt more tpis then I care to add mit. when using a tpi the thing to remember TPIs dont agreee with the high duration #'s My car has a 406 in it with fast burn heads lt4 hot cam and a tpi system I built it had 430 hp at the dyno I should get more after I work with the chip a little more. I have an accel system here that will be going in it soon. If you use a gm system get one from an 89 to 92 its a speed density system if you use one older then that it will be a mass air and now matter what you do to it you will never be able to get it to breath like it should it the cumputer just wasnt desined to mesure the amount of air flow needed The Stock MAF sensor (1984-88) can measure up to 255 Grams of air per second, or enough air for about 420 horsepower @ roughly 5200 RPMS you can modify a cyclone cumputer but its not werth the time unless you can get one for free .I have a ton of info on this if your interested e-mail me and I will send it to ya.
    Earl S

7. demonspeed

demonspeed Registered Member

89 Is still mass air.

85-89 (LB9 305 and L98 350) are all mass air. The L98 wasn't available in the f-body until 87.
    90-92 are speed density (90-91 in the Vette, 92 they switched to the LT1 which stayed speed density until 93).
    Speed density is more efficient, but the problem will be getting the PROM burned for a swap. Mass air cars are easier to tune since nothing is calculated like in a speed density setup.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have used Street & Performance wiring and it is just as good if not better than a GM harness. They use correct weather tight GM connectors on everything and they put a label on their wires for ease of installation. Plug all your connectors in then just 4 more wires into the vehicle and your done. I have seen wiring harnesses from painless and this is WAAAAY better.

9. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

You could always burn your onw chips it will coast just as much for the stuff to do it your self as it does to pay some one to do it. I f you watch on the f-body msg board you can get a complete tpi wiring every thing for less then $500 if you have a gm harness you can send it to fuelinjection specalties and for 200 they will repair every thing that is broke on it and change it to a 3 wire hook up. I have two of their wireing harnesses and they are easy to work with they do away with all the emisions stuff to with is nice. The injectors you have you should try to get a set off a vet I thinnk they are 22lb ware the f-body has 19lb I think thats right its been a while sence Ive used stock parts.
    Earl

10. demonspeed

demonspeed Registered Member

http://www.iroczone.com has an extensive message board dedicated to PCM and PROM stuff for the TPI motors. Many good threads on how to program them yourself. Another thing to keep in mind is that the TPI setup was originally designed for the 305 which is why it runs out of steam around 4-4500rpms in the L98's. I think if anyone is planning on a high horsepower TPI build, it'd be far better to go with a Lingenfelter/Accel Superram, or a Miniram or Stealth Ram. Of course if cost is a huge factor, you might want to just go with some runners from Edlebrock or SLP.

Sorry for going off in the wrong direction... this is about the computer/wiring, not the go-fast stuff /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif