Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

400SB---Should it be blue?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Dec 18, 2005.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Well I bought a '76 Silverado longbed of my buddy the other day, he says it has a 400 in it, and I ran the VIN and it came back as an original 400 SB. Were 400 SB's in '76 model years painted blue, or is this not the original engine?

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Light blue was a stock colour... my Dad's '79 454 is the same.

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

If its a Ford blue it will make more HP and live longer.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

:eek1::mad:Ban the bastard:wink1::D:haha:

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I just got done painting my SB350 before the install a GM Corporate Blue

[​IMG]

6. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

In my opinion, there is only one color for any Chevy Motor. Orange.

7. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Its gotta be go fast orange to be worth a flip...... but when I opened this thread I thought we were gonna talk about actual metal color so my response was going to be blue is better than cracked ;) :eek1: :haha:

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

As far as I can recall , they were orange until the A-bodies changed in 78 . Then it started being corporate blue . And now they are black .

For awhile Pontiac , Chevy's , and Olds OHV V-8's could of been found in any divisions cars . Then the Pontiac disappeared with the new 80's Camaro and Firebird getting Chevy v8's , v6's , and Pontiac 4 cyl's . The Olds disappeared when the g-body died off and the 307 went bye bye . And all that was left was the Chevy's .

OK , I didn't mention Caddy's , newer Olds , and Diesels , because I only believe in RWD muscle !!!!

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mine is blue too....

The 78 400SB I had in my 74 K20 came from a K10 Suburban originally,it still has the OEM blue paint in a few places on it..

I think they changed from orange to blue in 1977,but I've seen 1976 cars and trucks with blue motors that were 100% unmolested too..so who knows??

Confucious say: Better to have Blue Motor,than to have BLEW your motor!:haha: :rolleyes:

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[hijack]

Did you forget about the Caprice? 307 availability thru '90. My buddy's Dad didn't find that out until he got his '90 Caprice wagon home from the dealer! :crazy:

[/hijack]

11. pauly383

I didn't really forget , but I don't remember drooling over them when I was 15 :D

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

IMO, orange is the worst color in the world. I got soured out on that color cause back in the 70's, my mom had 3/4's of the inside of the house we lived in orange....the color took 30+ yrs to go away. I HATE orange

13. pauly383

But Chevy orange isn't as orange as it is red ??

14. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

True, it's more red than actual orange. Blue was also a color on reman engines from GM. The 350 in the 67 which came from an 80's van is blue.

15. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

most of mine

gets either a hi temp body color or the b-b-q 1500 degree black, but i paint it before i install anything so those pretty brass freeze plugs show up:-))and run the chrome ac delco timing cover with the bowtie cost $15-18 bucks and get a chrome oil pan from ebay for like $25 and it looks like you've spent some money on it! usually use the anodized moroso valve cover for like $60 in a complimentary color...leave the intake aluminum...they look good and its easy to spot a leak if you keep it clean! but the motor looks so good it usually leads to a pretty deep engine compartment cleaning(accsesories and all)actually have chrome alternator brackets and the thermostat housing and a braided stainless radiator hose also with a brand new zz4 water pump and balancer on them, as i have a connection to them as pull offs for like $40 for both...(i've ran the #'s and the water pump is like $80 and the balancer is like $180).. they come from where they putt'n zz4's in the motor cycles...they use electric water pump and a tci rattler. so then i have to clean all the accesories also because i cant bring myself to take that gem off the engine stand and drop it in that black muddy hole...no wonder an engine swap takes me so long!!!