Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

402 to 489 cubic inch transformation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Jun 5, 2003.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Here she is folks, she's growing from a 402 to 454 to 489 cubic inch big block! 4.28" bore x 4.25" stroke, SCAT crank, GM 6.135" truck rods, SpeedPro hypereutectic pistons, Competition Cams cam, more to come! OOHH YYEEEAAAAAAHHH! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Go big or go home! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Cool! You used good rod's, a good crank, and good piston's!
    Hard to beat that coating on the piston's eh? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

What casting # head's are You gonna run?

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Looks sweet! Have you figured out the $$/CI (dollars per cubic inch) yet? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Cool, looks good. Just last night me and a friend were in my garage painting a 383 SBC that I am building for him Daytona yellow. His car is a '69 Z28 (Daytona yellow w/ black stripes). We painted the freeze plugs gloss black then taped over them before the yellow went on. It turned out great, its gonna look awesome when its complete, black oil pan, aluminum heads, aluminum intake, etc. Gotta love horsepower ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Congrats!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The build-up on your truck is quite impressive. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I can't wait to hear that motor RUN!!! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

all the money and maching you have in it, why didn't you make it a 4 bolt main?

dave

7. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    all the money and maching you have in it, why didn't you make it a 4 bolt main?

dave

[/ QUOTE ]

2 bolt big blocks are good to 500hp if n/a. Much stronger than 2 bolt small blocks. I wouldnt s/c or nitrous a 2 bolt block though

8. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Don-I have a pair of 353049's I was gonna use, but upon disassembly, they look pretty butchered by someone else's "porting" job, not to mention they may have been used on a marine motor, judging by how crusty the water jackets are. I'm going to use the heads that came off this 402, which are 6272292's (I think that's right) with some minor porting/casting cleanup. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I would like to use a pair of those World Products Merlin heads, but I just can't swing it right now. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HarryH3-Approx $3000/(489-402)=$35 per cubic inch! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Captain Chaos-Wish it was a 4-bolt main, but I gotta use what I have! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif From all I've read, those 2-bolt blocks will handle up to 500-600 hp with no problem. Even though the cubic inch displacement has grown considerably, its still a fairly mild buildup, I'm thinking in the 400-450 hp range, 500+ ft lbs of torque way down low.

I just hope it runs good, with no problems, cause I'm a nervous wreck, constantly worrying about something I might have overlooked! Wish me luck guys and girls!