Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

406 ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have a 400cid small block in my 76 K5 with 87,000 miles on it. What all is involved in building a monster 406 out of this motor. I've built pleanty of SBC's, but not any 400's. Anything too be aware of ??? I will be going to better heads, Steel rods, and a steel crankshaft. Probley around 10.0 to 1 compression. Should I go with 5.7 or 6.0 rods ???

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I'd go for 6" rods. That is my personal preference. You will have a little better luck finding 5.7 pistons. Get a good hyperutectic (SP?) piston. When you buy rods, check to see if they will need ground to clear the cam. There a serveral aftermarket ones that are already clearanced. Also, be sure to drill the steam holes in your new heads. Good luck. 400's are my favorite SB. Still prefer the BB's.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Isn't a 406 just a 400 punched 30 over?

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Isn't a 406 just a 400 punched 30 over?

[/ QUOTE ]
    yes it is /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Vortec heads, Xr276 roller cam, edelbrock rpm air gap intake, big ole q-jet, 5.7 inch rods and around a 9.25;1 compression will make mad low end torque like in the 475 lb ft range. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would go with a 5.7" rod. Any longer and you have to worry about cam clearance, top ring land thickness (should be ~.25" for durability), and most pistons for a 6" rod will have the wrist pin hole going through the oil ring land.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    87,000 miles on it

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why rebuild it? Thats low miles. I can see swaping in a cam and intake but to go for a full rebuild sounds like a wast with only 87,000 miles.

8. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I have a 406. Yes, it is just a 400 punched .030" over. I put flat top pistons in it, Edelbrock intake, Doug Thorely headers, MSD ignition, big oil pan, Flowmasters, K&N, etc. I am about to put a .550" lift cam and AFR 190 series heads on it. They are awesome motors, torquey, just make sure you have a good radiator cause they tend to get warm, always heard of them overheating, but I've never had any problems. Let me know how it turns out! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The motor in my K10 is a 400 block with a 350 crank 6" rods JE pistons vortec heads with rollertip rockers rpm airgap intake and full msd ignition and a crane 272 duration .454 lift cam It screams tons off low end and pulls hard all the way to about 6800 rpm /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    87,000 miles on it

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why rebuild it? Thats low miles. I can see swaping in a cam and intake but to go for a full rebuild sounds like a wast with only 87,000 miles.

[/ QUOTE ] I want too be able to turn some higher RPM's if I decide to play in some mud pits. Stock 400 small blocks and high RPM's just don't mix very well in my opinion, so I'm thinking Steel rods, and a steel crankshaft. My rear main seal is just starting to leak, so might aswell go through the motor come this winter. It'll be fine till then. My plans so far are: Eagle Speciality ESP Steel rods, Eagle Specialtys Steel crankshaft (May stroke it alittle while I'm at it, depending on price) Melling Hi-Vol/Hi-Press oil pump. Deep sump oil pan, Pete Jackson gear drive, Comp Cams X-tream 4x4 camshaft, Dart 2 Iron Eagle heads, Wieand Stealth, or Offenhauser EQUA-FLOW intake manifold, Holley truck-advenger carb., MSD HEI dist with the off road 6al box, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers with 2.25 dual exhaust system with 40 series Flowmasters.

11. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Sounds good, just be careful when going to stroke it out. You have to v-cut the block to clear the bigger throw of the crank, isn't cheap. I wanted to make mine a 426, but money got in the way at the time. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I want too be able to turn some higher RPM's if I decide to play in some mud pits. Stock 400 small blocks and high RPM's just don't mix very well in my opinion, so I'm thinking Steel rods, and a steel crankshaft. My rear main seal is just starting to leak, so might aswell go through the motor come this winter. It'll be fine till then. My plans so far are: Eagle Speciality ESP Steel rods, Eagle Specialtys Steel crankshaft (May stroke it alittle while I'm at it, depending on price) Melling Hi-Vol/Hi-Press oil pump. Deep sump oil pan, Pete Jackson gear drive, Comp Cams X-tream 4x4 camshaft, Dart 2 Iron Eagle heads, Wieand Stealth, or Offenhauser EQUA-FLOW intake manifold, Holley truck-advenger carb., MSD HEI dist with the off road 6al box, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers with 2.25 dual exhaust system with 40 series Flowmasters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I Would do it a bit different...

I don't think a steel crank is needed...a ductile/noduar iron crank should do just fine. I would make sure it had .125" radi.

I have never seen a good reason to use a high volume oil pump (unless the motor has 250,000mi on it and 0 oil pressure...but it has other problems then). Nor have any of the guys "in the know" that I have read. All it will do is rob HP. Even the stock pump bypasses ALOT of oil out the pressure relief valve.

I never liked chain drives...all that noise you hear is wasted HP. Only at real high rpm would you need it. I would save the $$$ and get some 1.6 rockers.

2.25" dual Ex. is a bit small for a high spinning 406.

13. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I would also drop the gear drive and the high vol. oil pump, and I would go to a single exhaust, and change the Dart heads to AFR's, and swap that Truck Avenger to a new Edelbrock Qjet.

14. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I never liked chain drives...all that noise you hear is wasted HP.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm guessing you ment gear drives Your right they do cost horsepower I run a Jesel belt drive in my 377 I like it It's alot more precise than gear drives and timing chains [ QUOTE ]
    2.25" dual Ex. is a bit small for a high spinning 406.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree you need at least 2-1/2" pipes for a well built small block /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I would also drop the gear drive and the high vol. oil pump, and I would go to a single exhaust, and change the Dart heads to AFR's, and swap that Truck Avenger to a new Edelbrock Qjet.

[/ QUOTE ] I've had the Pete Jackson gear drive in a 73 Camaro and really liked the sound of it. Always had good luck with the Dart 2's, and I try too stay away from anything with the word "Edelbrock" printed on it. I know, I'm picky, but when I'm spending money, I get funny like that. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I'm gettin ready to drop a 406 in mine now. I have another 400 block if someone needs it and a new crank too.

17. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Some like the gear drives, some don't...I think they are sweet on street cars and the like but don't want to listen to one while crawling around on the trails...and people will argue for DAYS about which heads are better... All I know is that I have seen the TruckAvenger run and I have seen the Qjet run, especially on angles, bumps, etc... (a 4x4 that gets used) and after that you could not sell me a Truck Avenger over a Qjet for a truck that gets bounced around! That Qjet is probably the best thing under a FI system. But then I don't know how you use your truck, so for you a Avenger may be the ticket!

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Some like the gear drives, some don't...I think they are sweet on street cars and the like but don't want to listen to one while crawling around on the trails...and people will argue for DAYS about which heads are better... All I know is that I have seen the TruckAvenger run and I have seen the Qjet run, especially on angles, bumps, etc... (a 4x4 that gets used) and after that you could not sell me a Truck Avenger over a Qjet for a truck that gets bounced around! That Qjet is probably the best thing under a FI system. But then I don't know how you use your truck, so for you a Avenger may be the ticket!

[/ QUOTE ] I'm really not into rocks, but I do get some steep angles in the forest. So I may just rebuild the Q-jet that's on the motor right now.

19. crazyrc

crazyrc 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 406 that makes 460HP@5800 and 540lbs @4400.
    Comp Xtreme 4x4 Roller cam (most lift/duration in a roller version)
    Dart Heads with MANY hours on the flowbench. 2.05 intake valves
    Edelbrock RPM intake, Holley Truck Avenger, Proform Billet Distributor, dual 2.5" with race readies (dumps off the headers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
    Just getting this thing broke in and I love it. Oh yeah, it idles at 750 RPM and makes 380lbs @2800

20. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Yes...I ment gear drives...not chain. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

With the noise of no roof, no carpet, and swampers my cam drive is the last thing I want to hear.