Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

40s...what size spair? what do you have?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Sep 25, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

40s are on the way, what is a reasonable size spair? could i limp home with a 35 and 40 onfront, as long as the rears are the same? what do you run?

thanks

2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

You could make it home with a 35 and a 40 on the front as long as the hubs are unlocked. I would never think of doing it unless I had too. When I tore open one of my 33's I put two 31's on the front and unlocked the hubs to get home. Most guys I know have two spares of smaller sizes they use. A guy here runs 40's and if he busts a tire he will put the two spare 35's on the front, unlock the hubs and give it for home. My suggestion would be carry two or look for a spare of the same size, whether its bald or not.

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, there are a bunch of different ways to look at it.

I, myself, plan on carrying a 33" spare. I plan on changing the tire in the bush then swapping the small tire to the front once I get to the trailhead and then continue on my way home.

If you try to run two tires of a large size difference (say 2") you will cause an automatic locker to go berzerk. I found this out a couple years ago. It behaves just fine until you let off the gas. So, to bring it to a stop without horrible banging you must use some throttle while braking.

I probably won't even carry a spare once I get beadlocks. Just continue to carry a bunch of tire plugs and patches.

4. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

Spares are for p*ssies :D

J/K I'm on 40's with a 38.5 spare

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Do like me, don't carry a spare.
    Buy beedlocks, carry a spare tube for the 40's and some rubber in case it's bad on the inside so you don't pop the tube.
    Oh! on-board air helps too ;)

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Right now I have a 39.5x18-16.5 Bogger as a spare for my 44" boggers. The main reason I have it for a spare is that I had it laying around and I found a wheel for it for $10. However, I may start carrying one of my 11.00R16 Michelins for a spare since they're taller, about the same weight, but narrower thus taking up less space in the bed of my truck....plus I think I could sell my Bogger pretty cheap to someone on here who needs a good spare.

7. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Plug kit and on board air,if that doesn't work I'm walkin'.:haha: