Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

40's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun89, Oct 15, 2006.

1. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

im putting a new exhaust on my rig, im on flowmaster and saw theres a race 40 series and a street 40 series...minus all the legal reasons,has anyone had any experience with any of the series mufflers...? i want my truck to sound different then the other kazillion 40s on the road today

2. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

forgot to say RACE series mufflers...opps

3. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

something other than flowmaster?

4. 02turbogixxer

02turbogixxer Registered Member

5. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

how about some glasspacks?

That would be be different.

-Avery

6. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

hmmm ya id be open to other companies...equal or louder then 40s of course:D any one got some darn tootin ideas?

7. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

dual glass packs. they are cheap and really loud!

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Really load if you bust out the insides too :doah:

9. Avery4jc

is there an echo in here?

-Avery

10. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Glasspacks- bleh. Especially with manifolds. Plus, they flow pretty bad. If you want a loud original sound, find some chambered mufflers (like what came on the early 69 Camaros, not flows) About the flows, the Race series are typically single chamber- obnoxiously loud. The standard 40's are two chamber, a bit quieter with some resonance- but still pretty loud. The delta flows are quieter yet. If you are running full length exhaust they aren't bad, but if it dumps under or behind the cab, forget hearing your stereo- or passengers- and expect to set off every alarm you come within 30 yards of, and everyone in any parking garage you enter. Running cats will quiet em down a bit. Lots of guys are having good success with the knockoff flows, for a lot cheaper.

11. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

i was thinking glasspacks but....they sound kinda....plain, might be the word. i like the rumble of chamber mufflers....i am running cats with no x pipe and dump before the axel...so maybe race series 40s?

12. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Regular 40's or the IMCO knockoff's of 'em. If you want louder than that, just run straight pipes. IMHO a single chamber flowmaster style is about as good as it gets as far as sound goes.

13. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

I dunno man, I'd advise taking some time and rethinking before you spend money on something super loud.

I have dual glasspacks on my blazer, and dual straight pipes on my K10.
    My dad has quieter yet really aggressive sounding flowmasters on his K5 and it's so much better than the loud stuff.

It's cool for a while but then it gets SUPER old.

Just go with glasspacks for a while, as they're very cheap. See how you like the volume, then decide on a quality muffler.

14. stockk5

i dunno... i dont think my bro can get sick of his truck being to loud.. he doesnt drive on the highway long enough... thats why i think haha.. im almost kinda sick of how my headers. to 40's sound.. cuz yeah its almost annoying loud at times.

15. Avery4jc

Is there such a thing? My manifold to single 40 has a very nice tone to it but I've always wanted a little more growl from it....I was thinking the glasspacks route but figured some smog legal headers would be a better first exhaust upgrade.

-Avery

16. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

My old '79 had a 350 w/ the Edelbrock Performer package (intake, carb, cam), headers and dual 40's on 2.5" pipes.

I dispise flowmasters after that.... their tone is way too high-pitched... It was loud, and sounded like a growling house cat instead of a deep rumble like I would expect from a pushrod V8. After that I went with dual Thrush mufflers w/ an H-pipe and it was much smoother, quieter and deeper. And since it was a daily driver I wanted to be able to hear my radio over the obnoxious drone of the Flowmasters.

My Abortion w/ a high compression 383 stroker has dual glasspacks a couple feet after Tri-Y headers, and dumps right after the packs and it is disgustingly loud. This was the previous owner's setup and a new exhaust system has been lower on the list than a new suspension, 1-ton axles, H1 beadlocks, a crew cab conversion, etc etc :)

Eventually I will do a Y-pipe into 3" single pipe that exits behind the driver's side rear tire with a quiet super-turbo type muffler, or a dual 2.25" w/ H-pipe and dual super-turbos and quiet it down some. Also, part of the greenie's complaints about motorized travel on public lands is the noise they make. If I can mellow down a high compression monster to be near-stock quiet while I'm out on the trail, thats 1 less noisy vehicle the granolas can bitch about.

That's just my $0.02 :D

Mike

17. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I run single exhaust on my 91. It is a stock motor and still has the cat. I put a flowmaster 40 on it a week ago. You can tell the exhaust is not stock at idle, but thats about it. On the road my tires are much louder. I will be wheelin this weekend and I will ask the other guys how it sounds.

Personally, I think it is perfect. No resonance at all(rear exit, not dumped)

18. stockk5

haha ya....my brothers right, i love it when shes loud:D ....sooo....i think im gonna go with the single chamber race series 40s....if i dont like them then....u live u learn right?...plus the 10% over cost discount for being a napa employee helps alittle too:D

19. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

oooops...that reply should have been from me....:crazy: